Family Travel Guide
Use this guide to assist you plan and book your customer's family travel.
This information applies to Qantas operated and marketed flights only. For travel on codeshare or interline flights please contact the operating airline.
Travelling with Infants
Infants are young passengers aged up to and including 23 months. Infants not occupying a seat travel free of charge on Australian domestic flights and do not require a ticket. A ticket is required if an infant occupies a seat and for all international travel.
Please refer to Infant Fare and Ticketing Information for further details.
A newborn baby travelling within 7 days of delivery requires medical clearance. Please complete a Travel Clearance Form.
- A limited number of bassinets are available on our international services operated by B747, B787, A380 and A330 aircraft and can be booked in advance of travel.
- A charge applies for economy customers to purchase a seat with bassinet – refer to Select a Seat for details
- Bassinets on Qantas flights are approximately 71cm long, 31cm wide, 26cm deep and have a weight limit of 11kgs.
- When more than one infant travels with one adult, each additional infant must occupy a seat and be able to sit upright without assistance or travel in an approved car seat or child restraint. For further information and approval prior to travel refer to Child Car Seat and Child Restraint Systems.
If your customer does not want to purchase in advance, a seat with bassinet can be requested at check-in free of charge, subject to availability.
Use the entries listed below to add a bassinet request for an infant and associate the request to the accompanying adult:
The bassinet remains on request (HN) in your customer's booking and will be confirmed (KK/HK) by Qantas only if a bassinet is available, at which time the seat numbers will also be confirmed.
If the infant has any special requirements, we recommend your customer provides their meal for the flight. Qantas does offer a limited range of top brand baby food, milk, cereals and rusks but it is a good idea to bring the brand the infant knows and prefers. For more information on meal types available refer to Dietary Required Meals.
Depending on the age of the infant, either a baby or toddler meal can be requested:
|Toddler Meal||S1.P2/ SPML* Adult meal plus toddler meal infant 18mths|
|Toddler Meal||3SPML1/Toddler 18mths-2.1|
|Toddler Meal||SRSPML – Adult meal plus toddler meal Infant 18mths/S1/P2|
- Baggage allowances for infants vary according to destination.
- A collapsible stroller, collapsible cot, bassinet, car seat or baby capsule are permitted on all Qantas flights.
- Customers travelling with an infant or toddler are permitted to take a reasonable quantity of liquid, aerosol or gel products on board for the duration of the flight and any delays that might occur. This will be at the discretion of the security screening officer at customs.
- For further information visit our checked baggage and carry-on baggage allowances page
Back to top
Travelling with Children
Children are young passengers aged two to eleven years inclusive. Child discounts may apply and vary depending on the class of travel and the applicable fare rule.
Include the child’s age when requesting a child meal:
We offer a range of entertainment for families travelling with children:
- Qantas Club members travelling with children can access the Joey Club Zones at selected Qantas lounge Joey Club locations. Refer to Eligibility and Access Guidelines for further information.
- Find out what’s playing by viewing our Inflight Entertainment section.