Our commitment to people, culture and leadership.
Every employee in the Qantas Group is a custodian of our reputation for excellence and integrity, with a responsibility to uphold the standards and values we represent. We aim to build an inclusive, diverse and resilient culture to maximise engagement and performance so that the Qantas Group remains a network of ‘employers of choice’ in Australia.
Central to that are the Qantas Group beliefs – our shared commitment to delivering business goals and creating a great environment to work in. They are:
- Everyone has the right to return home safely.
- Customers determine our success.
- Being a fit, agile and diverse organisation drives innovation and simplicity.
- Working together in an inclusive manner always delivers the optimal group outcome.
- Each employee deserves respect, trust and good leadership.
Our Group beliefs frame our culture internally and our role as corporate citizen more broadly. These beliefs are used by management to shape the policies and procedures that define how our workplace operates.
The deeper challenge is to encourage employees to connect what they do with how they go about it in accordance with the Group’s beliefs. Our reward and recognition system is built around the beliefs and values, helping to reinforce the Group behaviours in the process.
The experience our people have working at the Qantas Group is crucial to our success. A dedicated focus on our people’s working experience will directly contribute to driving a strong customer culture, improved engagement, and a more diverse and inclusive environment. As such, we test the strength of our culture through employee surveys and continually analyse our retention and turnover data, using the insights to find out what's important to our employees, how we can keep improving and designing better experiences.
The Qantas Group People Experience Strategy places our people at the centre of our thinking process and supports them in doing their best work. The Strategy seeks to design people-centered experiences, enable an optimal cultural environment, and champion and deliver innovation in HR and beyond.
We are providing our people with products and services that match their evolving needs as employees. Initiatives include a People App, a new onboarding experience and a tailored Employee Value Proposition.
Inclusion and diversity
At Qantas, we share a proud history of nearly 100 years. We value our people's diverse lived experience and believe that our inclusive culture has contributed to our strength and success. Our diverse of thought and experiences ensures we understand our customers, make better decisions and get things done safely.
Our objective is to drive better business outcomes and an improved people experience through shared accountability for inclusion and diversity across the Qantas Group. This will be delivered by achieving three outcomes:
1. An inclusive people experience, where our people feel they belong, are valued and can reach their full potential:
- Inclusion occurs when a diversity of people feel they are part of a team and are confident in expressing their ideas.
- At Qantas, we are proud of our diverse mix of people, including different ages, cultural backgrounds, gender, education and experience.
- An inclusive and diverse Qantas Group is one that celebrates new ideas, accommodates different styles of thinking and enables people to collaborate.
2. Diversity in our organisation and ways of working, enhancing our talent pool and ensuring greater diversity of thought behind business decisions.
- We see value in bringing together people of different genders, ages, cultures, education and experience, and leveraging their different perspectives to challenge each other to be our best and do more than we thought possible.
- We can learn from their different perspectives to deliver better solutions for our people and customers.
3. External leadership in inclusion and diversity.
- We are leaders in many different areas, whether it be innovation, our approach to fuel efficiency or our position supporting Indigenous Australians. We stand up for what we believe is right. This pillar is about leadership in aviation and Australia, and connecting with our customers, our suppliers and our communities.
We have a solid foundation of inclusion and diversity. We are now building on that foundation and broadening our focus to better reflect who we are as an organisation. Our six key focus areas are outlined below.
Gender balance: We are committed to challenging stereotypes and achieving gender balance across the Qantas Group. Through our Nancy Bird Walton program, we have made a long-term commitment to merit-based gender diversity for Australian aviation – including a target of a 40 per cent intake of female cadet pilots by 2028. We will continue to leverage our partnerships with external organisations such as Male Champions of Change, Chief Executive Women and the Power of Engineering.
In 2018, we achieved our goal of 35 per cent women in senior leadership and have set a new goal of 38 per cent by 2021.
Reconciliation Action Plan - Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Careers and Inclusion: We have a proud history of championing reconciliation. We launched our first Reconciliation Action Plan in 2007 and we launched an Elevate RAP in 2015. Through our Reconciliation Action Plan, we are working to strengthen that relationship with our people, our suppliers and our communities. Our sixth RAP will be launched shortly, building on the strong foundation we have already achieved through: (a) Sustainable Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander careers; (b) Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander economic development; (c) Cultural inclusion and celebration; (d) Creating an Australian customer experience; and (e) Collaboration and accountability.
LGBTI+ Inclusion: Qantas has a long history supporting the LGBTI community. We recognise the challenges faced by our people who identify as LGBTI and are committed to creating an inclusive environment, regardless of gender identity, gender expression, sexuality or intersex status.
Accessibility and Inclusion: Removing barriers in processes and environments so that people of all abilities, including those with visible and invisible disabilities, can meaningfully engage in work and with our products and services.
Cultural and linguistic diversity: We embrace all cultures and languages, and the new perspectives and insights they provide.
Life ages and stages: Supporting our people to do their best work at any time in their lives through identifying and removing barriers at all ages and stages.