Travel to South Africa
Travelling has changed, and you may need to do a little more planning and preparation before take-off. Ensure you check and comply with all airline and government travel requirements before arriving at the airport.
Last updated: 19 July 2023
On this page
Before booking and before departure, ensure you check the latest South AfricaOpens external site in a new window and AustralianOpens external site government conditions for travel, including any applicable Australian State Government restrictions and requirements, which may include mandatory travel and health declarations, vaccinations, use of face masks, and immigration and entry requirements (which may include renewing your passport, or applying for a visa), or you could be denied entry. This information is subject to change and we recommend you check these websites frequently for any updates.
Some countries have restrictions around transiting. If you're transiting via another country or onto another international flight, ensure you check the requirements of your transiting and destination country to ensure their Government allows you to transit.
If your itinerary includes travel with another airline, or Qantas codeshare flights which are operated by another airline on their aircraft, you'll need to contact them directly to understand and meet their requirements.
- Most COVID-19 travel restrictions have been lifted by the South African Government.Opens external site
- On arrival into South Africa, you may be required to undergo a temperature check.
- Consider purchasing travel insurance. Qantas Travel Insurance policiesOpens external site (which are available to Australian residents) can provide cover for some COVID-19 related events. Terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply. This is general advice only and your objectives, financial situation or needs have not been taken into account. You should consider whether the advice is suitable for you and your personal circumstances. Before making any decision to buy the travel insurance, you should read the Product Disclosure Statement and Target Market Determination. Issuer: AIG Australia Limited for policies for residents of Australia.
Keep up to date with the latest requirements
It’s important to continue to check the relevant government websites for the latest travel requirements, as these may change closer to your departure date and more information may become available.
- Australian GovernmentOpens external site
- South African GovernmentOpens external site in a new window
Inflight and airport services
Find out about any changes to your airport and inflight experience.
See inflight and airport services for more information.