Seat selection conditions
You can select your seat only on Qantas international flights QF1 - 199 and Qantas domestic flights QF400 - 1349 (excluding QantasLink services). On QantasLink services you can request a preference for an aisle or window seat.
The following information applies to all seat selections, although note that requirements and additional conditions apply to the purchase of exit row seats.
- Prices quoted are subject to change. Prices apply to all fare types for extra legroom seats, including exit row seats.
- Seat selection is subject to the availability of requested seats.
- Preferential seating zones exist for Platinum, Gold or Silver Frequent Flyers, equivalent oneworld members and any passenger travelling with those flyers in the same booking.
- Bassinets can be requested through your local Qantas office free of charge and are subject to availability.
- Passengers who wish to sit next to each other but have made separate bookings will need to request their seat independently. Qantas is not able to advise on the seat selection of passengers on other bookings.
- At any time up to 3 hours prior to scheduled departure, provided you have not checked in for the flight, you may change your seat request to:
- move to another available seat of the same value within the same cabin. An adjustment may apply to the charge paid.
- move to an available seat of higher value within the same cabin (for example an extra legroom seat) on payment of any price difference. You cannot pay for any price difference with Qantas Points.
- upgrade to a seat in a higher cabin, however, the amount paid or Qantas Points redeemed for seat selection will not be refunded.
- If in accordance with your fare rules you elect to move to another flight or you fail to pay for your booking resulting in cancellation of your flight, any seat selection paid for is non-refundable and cannot be transferred to another flight. Seat selection required for any new flight must be selected separately and no refund will be provided for any seat selection purchased for the previous flight.
- Seat selection is not transferable to another passenger.
- Seat selection is non-refundable unless:
- Qantas changes your seat for operational, safety or security reasons (even after boarding the aircraft), and we are unable to seat you in a suitable alternative.
- There is a flight disruption causing you to be moved to another flight and Qantas is unable to seat you in a suitable alternative on your new flight.
- Qantas moves you to a flight not operated by Qantas.
- Your fare is refunded (including where you are entitled to a refund under the Australian Consumer Law).
- Seat selection is non-refundable if we have moved you to a seat in a higher cabin class for operational, safety or security reasons.
- Seat selection refund conditions are independent of fare refund conditions.
- If your seat is changed by Qantas for operational, safety or security reasons, or you are affected by a flight disruption, you may apply for a refund after departure by completing the refund form. Refunds can only be requested after departure of the affected flight. Refund requests must be lodged at qantas.com no later than 3 months after the affected flight.
- In the event of an aircraft change, the same or a similar seat may be allocated. Passengers will not be contacted if this occurs before check-in but may check the position of the allocated seat online via manage booking.
- Passengers will still be required to check-in before their flight departure. Select seats at check-in through manage booking or your bookings if you're a Qantas Frequent Flyer, or at the airport.
- Passengers who have specific needs should call their local Qantas office directly so we can assist with the allocation of an appropriate seat.
- Seat requests cannot be guaranteed as they may need to be changed for operational, safety or security reasons, even after boarding the aircraft.
In order to sit in an exit row seat, you must:
- be at least fifteen years old
- not be travelling with someone who needs your assistance in an emergency e.g. an infant or child unless there is another guardian seated elsewhere with the child
- not require the use of an infant/extension seat belt
- be willing and able to move quickly and assist crew in an emergency situation
- be willing and able to listen to a briefing, check outside conditions and follow instructions given in English by crew
- be physically able to reach, open, lift and throw out an emergency exit up to twenty (20) kgs
- not be travelling with a service dog
- not have an amputated or prosthetic limb
- not have a visual impairment that is not corrected by use of spectacles/glasses/contact lenses, which must be worn during taxi, take-off and landing
- not have a hearing impairment that is not corrected by use of a hearing aid/device, which must be worn during taxi, take-off and landing.
Note: Hearing aids/devices that use Bluetooth are permitted to be used at all times onboard A330, A380, B737 and QantasLink aircraft. On B747 aircraft, hearing aids/devices that use Bluetooth must be switched off during taxi, takeoff and landing, therefore passengers with Bluetooth hearing aids/devices are not permitted to be seated in exit rows on B747 aircraft.
- not utilise any part of the aircraft door (or its surrounding area) to rest your feet, or any other personal item(s).
Qantas has the sole discretion, at check-in or boarding, to determine whether a passenger meets the requirements to sit in an exit row seat. If the passenger does not meet the requirements, they will be assigned a different seat.
- Exit row seat refund conditions are independent of fare refund conditions.
- If between the date of purchasing an exit row seat and 24 hours before travel you become unable to fulfil the requirements to sit in an exit row seat, notify your local Qantas office immediately. If you notify Qantas at least 24hrs prior to departure, you will be transferred to a regular economy seat, and the additional amount paid or Qantas Points redeemed for an exit row seat may be refunded.
- Check-in for passengers seated in exit row seats is only available at airport check-in counters.
- Exit row seats are not available if you booked through Group sales.