Travelling with a Carer
When a carer is required
In certain circumstances, Qantas requires an escort or carer to accompany customers who are unable to care for themselves during a flight. An escort or carer may be needed if:
- the passenger is unable to self-toilet,
- the passenger needs or wants to eat and drink during the course of the flight but is unable to do so without assistance,
- the passenger will require medication during the flight but is unable to administer it themselves, or
- the number of passengers in a group travelling with an escort or carer exceeds Qantas Group cabin crew limits.
Requirements for Carers
The escort or carer must be self-reliant, and mentally and physically able to assist the passenger with the following if required:
- toilet and sanitary requirements both on the aircraft and on the ground,
- inflight and ground emergencies,
- carriage of carry-on baggage and/or equipment,
- medicating and medical procedures,
- food and beverage consumption,
- immigration and customs procedures, and
- boarding and disembarkation.
Fare Reductions for Carers on Domestic Flights
For Qantas domestic travel within Australia, customers who require a carer to travel are eligible for a reduced fare for both themselves and their carer, provided that the customer holds:
- a current Carer Concession photographic identification card issued by People with Disability Australia Incorporated (PWDA),
- a current Carer Concession photographic identification card issued by the National Information Communication Awareness Network (NICAN.),
- a current Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card with blind entitlement; or
- a current travel pass for Person with Vision Impairment issued by a state or territory authority.
The Qantas Carer Concession Card was previously administered by NICAN, who ceased operation in July, 2015. All current cards issued by NICAN will be honoured until they expire. Holders of expired NICAN issued Carer Concession Cards wishing to renew can do so with PWDA.
Details regarding Carer Concession Card applications and renewals can be found on the PWDA website or by phoning PWDA on 1800 806 769.