Travel Documents


You will need a ticket to travel. If you are travelling on an electronic ticket (e-ticket), while the ticket is stored electronically, you will be issued with an itinerary receipt which you should carry with you at all times for both international and Australian domestic flights.

Ensure that you are aware of the conditions of the fare you have purchased and the applicable carrier's conditions of carriage. View Qantas fare rules and conditions of carriage.


All passengers need a valid passport for international travel, regardless of the destination, but as some countries require at least six months remaining on the passport, you should check with the consulates of all the countries you are planning to visit prior to your departure, as you may be refused entry if you do not comply.

Visit the IATA Travel Centre to check the passport validity requirements of your destination.


A visa is permission for a non-citizen to travel to a particular country. To find out if you need a visa for travel to a particular country, visit the IATA Travel Centre.

Travel to Australia

If you are a non-Australian citizen travelling to Australia, you will either need to obtain an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA), which you can apply for online, or a standard visa.

Electronic Travel Authority (ETA)

The ETA is a visa that is stored electronically, rather than a stamp or label in your passport. It will show up as part of your passport record when Customs officials check your passport details. Be sure to have your passport details ready when making your ETA application.

Generally, you can be issued a short term Tourist or Business ETA if:

  • you hold an ETA eligible passport;
  • you don't intend to work in Australia;
  • you don't intend to stay in Australia for more than three months; and
  • you are in good health and have no criminal convictions.

Standard Visa

If you are not eligible for a Tourist or Business ETA or are otherwise unable to apply online, visit your nearest Australian Visa Office to obtain a standard visa.

Before You Travel

All Singapore citizens travelling overseas, whether for tourism or business or for short or long stays, are encouraged to register with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) eRegister system at least three days before travel. The registration information provided by you will help us to find you in an emergency - whether it is a natural disaster, civil disturbance or a family emergency.

Arrival Documents

For international flights, when required, arrival documents will be handed to you at check-in or distributed by cabin crew during the flight. For arrival at an Australian international airport you will receive a Passenger Card that you need to complete ready for presentation with your passport at Passport Control.


Certain items are prohibited in Australia. Find out more about the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service.

Back to top