A380 to Visit Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne
Sydney, 28 October 2005
Qantas announced today that the world's largest passenger aircraft - the Airbus A380 - would visit Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne between 11 and 16 November. The visit will coincide Qantas' 85th anniversary celebrations.
The Chief Executive Officer of Qantas, Mr Geoff Dixon, said the arrival of the aircraft and its planned itinerary while in Australia had generated a great deal of public interest.
"We have worked closely with Airbus to make this visit a reality. This is the first time the A380 has left Europe," Mr Dixon said.
As well as helping Qantas mark its 85th anniversary, the aircraft will continue its flight test program in Australia and undertake airport compatibility assessments in each port.
The A380's current Australian schedule is:
* Friday 11 November - Arrive Brisbane late evening
* Saturday 12 November - Brisbane
* Sunday 13 November - Depart Brisbane for Sydney early morning
* Monday14 November - Depart Sydney for Melbourne early morning
* Tuesday 15 November - Depart Melbourne for Brisbane early morning
* Wednesday 16 November - Depart Brisbane and Australia early morning
Details of arrival and departure times will be announced next month.
Qantas was the first airline to sign a contract for the A380 and will take delivery of the first of its 12 aircraft in April 2007.
Issued by Qantas Corporate Communication (3345)