QantasLink Expands Network to Port Moresby
Brisbane, 27 May 2010
QantasLink today announced its schedule on the Cairns-Port Moresby route, with flights to commence from 1 July 2010.*
QantasLink Executive Manager, Mr Narendra Kumar, said QantasLink will invest $30 million in operating the latest of its new 74-seat Q400 aircraft between Cairns and Port Moresby, offering 12 return flights and 1776 seats each week.
“QantasLink’s expansion into Papua New Guinea heralds the first arrival of a Qantas aircraft into the market since 2002. This expansion has been made possible by an investment of over $600 million since 2006 in a new fleet of 21 Q400 aircraft,” Mr Kumar said.
“We are delighted to be able to provide business travellers in particular with significantly improved facilities and comfort when travelling between Cairns and Port Moresby at jet-like speed on the Q400.”
Mr Kumar said the initial schedule would be:
- Twice daily Monday-Friday with flights departing Cairns at 5.45am on Monday and 6.45am Tuesday to Friday, and departing Port Moresby at 8.15am on Monday and 9.20am Tuesday to Friday;
- A second afternoon departure from Cairns at 3.15pm Monday to Thursday and 4.15pm on Friday, and from Port Moresby at 5.45pm Monday to Thursday and 6.45pm on Friday; and
- Daily weekend flights offering an early morning departure and late afternoon return.
“With a flight time of only one hour and 45 minutes the new services will provide seamless connections to other Qantas and QantasLink services across Australia,” Mr Kumar said.
To celebrate the new destination, QantasLink is offering a number of launch fares on sale for 16 days from 27 May to 11 June 2010 inclusive, for travel between 1 July and 31 August 2010, including:
- $349AUD Cairns-Port Moresby return;
- $469AUD Brisbane-Port Moresby return;
- $549AUD Townsville-Port Moresby return; and
- $649AUD Sydney-Port Moresby return.
QantasLink is Australia’s largest regional airline, operating about 1900 flights each week to 54 regional and metropolitan destinations.
*Subject to regulatory approvals.
Issued by Qantas Corporate Communication (4073)