Qantas and Woolworths Unveil Unique Loyalty Partnership
Sydney, 01 June 2009
Woolworths and Qantas today announced details of their unique loyalty partnership which allows customers to earn Qantas Points as part of their everyday shopping.
Woolworths customers who link their Everyday Rewards and Qantas Frequent Flyer accounts will earn one Qantas Frequent Flyer point for every dollar spent above $30 in one transaction, when they present their Everyday Rewards card.
The offer will be available to Woolworths Supermarket and Liquor customers from 22 June and to BIG W customers from 16 July. Offers will also be launched in coming months for customers of BWS, Dick Smith and participating Caltex Woolworths co-branded fuel outlets.
Richard Umbers, General Manager of Customer Engagement for Woolworths said: "This partnership with Qantas Frequent Flyer will be enormously appealing to our customers because we are not asking them to do anything more than their regular shopping to start earning rewards."
"Their points will quickly add up from their weekly shop at Woolworths Supermarkets, their regular trips to BIG W, BWS, participating Caltex Woolworths co-branded fuel outlets and their visits to Dick Smith," Mr Umbers said.
Simon Hickey, Chief Executive Officer of Qantas Frequent Flyer said: "This partnership with Woolworths is the latest in a string of enhancements over the last 12 months which allows Qantas Frequent Flyer members to turbo-charge their points."
"In this current economic environment it is now more important than ever that customers know they are getting value for money every time they shop. Qantas is committed to ensuring the program remains the best way to accumulate points for great value rewards," Mr Hickey added.
The four cents per litre fuel discount will also continue to apply to purchases over $30 in Woolworths supermarkets and BIG W, continuing to provide further value to shoppers.
Customers who link their Everyday Rewards and Qantas Frequent Flyer membership accounts and choose to pay for their shopping with a credit card that earns Qantas points will still earn those points and will also earn one point for every dollar spent above $30 in one transaction, making rewards even easier and faster to attain.
Qantas Frequent Flyer members will be able to redeem their points for flights with Qantas, Jetstar and 23 partner airlines or online at the Qantas Frequent Flyer store with over 1000 products and services to choose from including Woolworths vouchers.
Customers can pick up an Everyday Rewards card at any Woolworths Supermarket and register online at www.everydayrewards.com.au. Everyday Rewards members who are not members of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program can join Qantas Frequent Flyer through Woolworths Everyday Rewards without paying the usual Qantas Frequent Flyer joining fee - a saving of $82.50.
Customers can also link their existing Qantas Frequent Flyer membership to their Everyday Rewards card through the Everyday Rewards website, so they can start earning points from the moment the enhanced program takes off on June 22.
Research conducted for Woolworths Everyday Rewards by Galaxy has confirmed that customers are increasingly attracted to rewards schemes that offer a choice of rewards as a means of getting additional value from their everyday shopping.
Sixty one per cent (61%) of Australians surveyed stated that in the current economic environment, the availability of rewards has an impact on their decision about where to shop.
Sixty four per cent (64%) of consumers also stated they wanted to have a choice of rewards, rather than be restricted to just cash, just flights or just products.
"No other loyalty partnership operating in Australia currently offers customers the same opportunity to earn rewards, without the need to change their shopping habits or increase their spend," Mr Umbers added.
- ENDS -
Key benefits of the partnership:
• One Qantas Frequent Flyer point for every $1 spent above $30 in the one transaction.
• Ability to boost points earning potential by using Qantas Frequent Flyer direct earn credit cards.
• Points can be redeemed for a wide range of vouchers, products and services via the Qantas Frequent Flyer online store and flights with Qantas, Jetstar and 23 partner airlines.
About Woolworths and Woolworths Everyday Rewards:
- Woolworths has 20 million customer transactions per week across some 3000 stores including Woolworths and Safeway Supermarkets, BIG W, Woolworths & Safeway Liquor, BWS, Dan Murphy's, Caltex Woolworths and Caltex Safeway co-branded fuel outlets and Dick Smith Electronics.
- The Woolworths Everyday Rewards program has three million registered customers.
- The Woolworths Everyday Rewards program was launched nationally in February 2008.
- At this time, Woolworths Everyday Rewards is not available to Woolworths Supermarkets customers in Tasmania. However, the Frequent Shopper Club program continues to be available to those customers.
About Qantas Frequent Flyer:
- The Qantas Frequent Flyer program was launched in 1987 and today has over 5.6 million members.
- The program has more than 400 partners, including airlines, credit cards, restaurants, hotels, financial institutions and retailers.
- With Qantas Frequent Flyer linked credit cards and points earned from flights you can see that members will have the ability to quickly earn enough points to take advantage of some of the most valuable rewards in Australia.
- Over three million Classic Award flights were redeemed by members last financial year. Since July 2008, members have been able to redeem points for Qantas and Jetstar Any Seat Awards - for any available seat on any flight.
- Over 1000 products including shopping vouchers are available to redeem in the online Qantas Frequent Flyer store.
Issued by Qantas Corporate Communication (3920)