Coast to Coast
Enjoy Coast to Coast from Perth to Sydney
While you're away, why not check out some of our favourite things to see and do
Once your flight has arrived, the only limit to what you can see and do is your imagination! To help you get started, we've put together some of our favourite ways to explore the cities and towns of Australia.
This Two Week Walkabout takes in Australia's east and west coasts, including time in both Perth and Sydney.
The following are suggestions only and do not form part of a package. Find out more on Qantas airfares to Australia.
Days One to Four - Perth
Step off your Qantas flight in Perth on the west coast and enjoy its beautiful beaches, top attractions, great restaurants and the gorgeous Kings Park with its rich indigenous heritage. Hire a surfcat and set sail, walk through the city gardens or barbeque at one of the free public barbeque facilities. Learn to surf, visit one of the region’s wineries, and relax on the beach. Live the outdoors lifestyle and ease yourself in to the holiday.
If you fancy a day trip out of the city, take a ferry to Rottnest Island where the locals go to swim at white sand beaches, snorkel in turquoise waters over shipwrecks and to do some fishing. Rotto, as it is known, is a car-free zone which adds to its relaxed feel. Hiring a bike is the best way to get around but watch out for the quokkas, the cute marsupials which were the inspiration for the island’s name. Other Rotto attractions include the historic train tour, a family fun park, tennis courts, lawn bowls and a golf course.
- Kings Park with its 400 hectares of virgin bush land, manicured gardens and views of Perth
- A visit to one of Perth's attractions such as the Perth Zoo, the Perth Mint or the Perth Institute of Contemporary Art
- Cruising the Swan River
- Relaxing on the banks of the Swan River with its grassy areas, walkways and barbeque facilities
- Beach cricket with mates at Cottesloe
- Shopping, restaurants and nightlife in the suburbs of Subiaco, Northbridge and Mt Lawley
- A day trip to Rottnest Island
- Tasting the local produce in the Swan Valley wineries
- Enjoying the markets, cafes and people watching at Fremantle
- A helicopter trip over the city for stunning views and a real thrill
- Qantas offers the choice of double daily flights from London Heathrow into Perth
Days Five to Eight – Explore more of Western Australia
Take the time to explore the famous Margaret River wine region, approximately four hours south of Perth. Join a small group tour or hire a car to discover character-filled vineyards as far as the eye can see. Stop off at these beautiful vineyards and sample local premium wines direct from the cellar door. If you’re lucky you’ll get to sample the local drop with the resident wine maker. The region also offers fine and fresh food in delightful cafes and restaurants, luxurious boutique accommodation, national parks and art and craft studios are scattered throughout the area.
Margaret River and Yallingup provide some incredible surf beaches. There are also many quiet and secluded bays – ideal for diving and fishing. For those seeking more adventure, try your hand at abseiling, rock climbing, bushwalking and hiking. After a day of exercise, relax in the tranquillity of a forest chalet.
Between May and December, the Margaret River region becomes a haven for whale-watching enthusiasts, with the best vantage points from Dunsborough to Augusta.
Days Nine to Fourteen - Sydney
Fly with Qantas across to Sydney from Perth for some chic city living, to end your Two Week Walkabout in style.
Start in the cobblestone streets of The Rocks, the harbour-side precinct where Sydney began. Climb Sydney Harbour Bridge and take the ferry past the iconic Opera House to Taronga Zoo or to one of the northern beaches.
Visit the museums and historic sites along Macquarie Street then wander the lush Botanic Gardens, or join a guided bike tour to learn more about the city’s past. Indulge in a shopping secrets tour with a friendly local who’ll show you the top boutiques, best bargains and local markets. Just make sure you’re not having so much fun that you miss your Qantas flight home!
- Cruising Sydney Harbour for as little or as long as you like
- Enjoying a symphony, opera or guided tour of the World Heritage Listed Sydney Opera House
- Taking the climb of your life on Sydney Harbour Bridge with BridgeClimb
- Catching a ferry from Circular Quay and visiting Taronga Park Zoo or Manly Beach
- Having breakfast with koalas at Sydney Wildlife World and visiting Sydney Aquarium next door
- Learning to surf or taking a walking tour along world famous Bondi Beach
- Eat out at one of Sydney's fabulous restaurants or cafes for an unforgettable dining experience
- Shopping in the boutiques and galleries in Pitt Street, Haymarket & Queen Victoria Building
- Browsing the weekend craft markets in The Rocks, Paddington and Bondi Beach
- Visiting Sydney Fish Markets to enjoy a gourmet platter of fresh, local seafood delicacies
- Taking a scenic seaplane flight over Sydney Harbour to tranquil Cottage Point for lunch
- Joining a Historic Rocks Walking Tour and hearing the tales of the city's colourful colonial past