Information on what to do if your baggage has been delayed, damaged or lost when flying with us.
On this page
If your checked baggage is not available on arrival, head to the local airport baggage services counter as soon as possible to lodge a Property Irregularity Report (PIR) directly with the airline that operated your flight. If your bags were checked through for multiple flights and your final airline operator wasn’t Qantas, you’ll need to lodge your report with the airline that operated your final flight.
If your checked baggage is damaged proceed to the airport baggage services counter to lodge a damaged baggage report prior to leaving the airport. Please refer to reporting time limits.
If the airline that operated your final flight is not Qantas, you’ll need to lodge a report directly with that airline.
Qantas is not liable for damage that occurs due to an inherent defect, quality or vice of the baggage or due to wear and tear, such as:
- cuts, scratches and dents
- external items missing from bag, i.e. locks, straps or name tags
- damage as a result of over-packing
- items unsuitably packed for transportation (this includes sporting equipment and musical instruments)
- fragile, valuable or perishable items except to the extent required by law.
On journeys where you arrive, transit or depart from an airport in the USA, the TSA may inspect your baggage, in which case they will leave a note in your baggage. Qantas is not liable for any damage caused by the TSA inspections. You may email the TSA about the inspection or call +1 866 289 9673 if you have any queries.
There are strict time limits for reporting that your baggage has been damaged, delayed or lost. All passengers are requested to report delayed or damaged checked baggage in person at the airport at time of arrival or online via Qantas Customer Care no later than the time set out below, otherwise Qantas will not be liable.
For domestic trips (with no international sectors on the itinerary)
- 3 days in the case of damage to, loss or destruction of part only of an item of checked baggage, after date of receipt of remainder of the item.
- 21 days since the case of loss of the whole item from the date of intended receipt.
For international trips
- In the case of damage to your baggage, as soon as you discover the damage after you have received the baggage, and at the latest within 7 days.
- In the case of delay, within 21 days from when the baggage has been made available to you.