By using this website and our other online services you agree that we can store and access cookies, IP addresses and use other methods to collect website usage data. We do this to improve your online experience. The information collected can include information about your use of our website, the browser and device type you are accessing it from and where you are in the world (which distinguishes you from other users of our website).
What are cookies?
Cookies are small files that are placed on your computer by websites that you visit or certain emails you open. They are widely used to make websites function properly as well as to provide business and marketing information.
- Our cookies will remember your chosen language and country so that when you visit our website the pages are in that language and the departure airports are in that country.
- If you're halfway through a booking our cookies will allow you to browse other areas of the website and then return back to your booking with the relevant booking data still in place.
What cookies do we use and why?
Our website implements different types of cookies, including:
- First-party cookies: are those that we place on your device when you visit our site.
- Third-party cookies: are cookies that are set by a domain other than ours when you visit our site (eg by google.com). If, when you visit our site, another domain sets a cookie through our site, it is a third-party cookie.
- Persistent cookies: these cookies remain on your computer or mobile device for the period of time specified in the cookie. They are activated each time that you visit the website that created that particular cookie and may remain on your computer following the end of your browsing session.
- Session cookies: Session cookies are created temporarily. These cookies allow us to link your actions during your browser session on our site. A browser session starts when you open the browser window and finishes when you close the browser window. Once you close the browser, all session cookies are deleted.
Cookies are used for technical reasons to enable the efficient working of our website. For example, to:
- balance website traffic to ensure our customers receive a consistent and reliable service.
- limit traffic to key parts of the website to maintain performance levels.
- manage the performance of the website during high traffic periods.
Ease of use
Cookies are used to enhance the ease of use of our website for customers. For example, to:
- remember your language and country of choice and presenting relevant content.
- keep track of your Qantas Frequent Flyer number when you have logged in.
- remember your selected departure airport when booking a flight.
- personalise your experience so you receive content that is relevant to you.
- A/B split testing – test different designs before making them permanent for all users to optimise the design experience so you find our site easier to use.
- remember who you are when you come back to our website.
Cookies are used to gather statistics on how visitors use our site. For example, to:
- gather feedback through customer satisfaction surveys.
- gain insight into how visitors use our website so that we can make improvements to its usability.
Marketing & Segmentation
Cookies are used to enable us to present appropriate messages to you. For example, to:
- allow our site to serve up different versions of a page for marketing purposes.
- allow third parties to display appropriate advertising and to track its effectiveness.
- display messages which offer a selection of products based on your viewing behaviour on our website and other selected websites.
- understand our customer and members (including their online behaviour) that then drives all kinds of data-led usage. This may include sharing and receiving cookies with third parties from time to time.
You may refuse to accept cookies by altering the settings on your internet browser (click here for more information). If you choose not to permit cookies some areas of our website may not function properly or be accessible.
In relation to advertising cookies, if you are in the EU you can use the youronlinechoices.euOpens external site in a new window website which allows you to set which advertising cookie providers you accept, and which you do not. If you are in Australia, you can choose to opt out of this type of advertising by going to youronlinechoices.com.auOpens external site in a new window
Please note if you delete your cookies:
- We will no longer know that you've opted out of online behavioural advertising, so the banners from our third-party advertisers will reappear when you visit other selected websites.
- We will no longer automatically recognise that you have agreed to our privacy statement, cookies policy and website terms and conditions and will ask for confirmation of this along with your language and country preferences.
What is online behavioural advertising/interest based advertising?
Online behavioural advertising (also known as interest-based advertising) is a way of serving advertisements on the websites you visit and making them more relevant to you and your interests.
Shared interests are grouped together based upon previous web browsing activity and web users are then served advertising which matches their shared interests. In this way, advertising can be made as relevant and useful as possible. Relevant ads can also be delivered based upon the website content you have just been viewing. This is known as ‘retargeting’.
How do I opt out of online behavioural advertising?
There are a number of sites which can help you opt out of online behavioural advertising from the third-party advertising agencies that operate online behavioural advertising for website publishers. These include networkadvertising.org/choicesOpens external site in a new window.
Please note that opting out of online behavioural advertising using those services:
- does not mean that the advertising of Qantas’ products and services on our own websites will stop being personalised to your interests.
- may not stop all online behavioural advertising because it only applies to those third-party advertising agencies that have signed up to those services.
- does not mean that there will be no more advertising on this website or other websites you access. However, the advertising that you do see is likely to be less relevant to your interests.
In addition to the above, deleting browser cookies can remove your opt out preferences, so you may need to opt out again.
More information about cookies used on our website
View (PDF) the most frequently used cookies on our website.