Assistance during your journey
Discover what services are available to meet your specific needs, including meet and assist services, transit and transfer options, assistance inflight as well as support during boarding and disembarkation.
On this page
This service must be requested at the time of booking and generally commences once you've checked-in. Depending on your specific needs, we can help with:
- assisting you from check-in to the departure gate by airport wheelchair or people mover and from arrival gate to baggage claim
- meeting you at the departure/arrival gate to collect/deliver your mobility aid (where possible).
Our seating allocation system gives appropriate consideration to passengers with specific needs. This includes:
- not seating passengers with specific needs in the exit rows due to Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) requirements
- where possible, seating passengers with specific needs in aisle seats with movable armrests
- blocking spare seats, where possible, for passengers travelling in Economy with Service Dogs or Service Dogs under Training where there is a seat available (not First, Business or Premium Economy). For passengers travelling in First, Business or Premium Economy, the Service Dog is generally able to sit at the passenger's feet. Please be aware, there are some aircraft types where Service Dogs cannot be carried in premium cabins at all.
- ensuring the assistant or carer, if we have been told prior that the passenger is travelling with one, sits adjacent to or near you, where possible; or
- seating passengers with specific needs, where possible and when there is an accessible toilet onboard, as close to the accessible toilet as possible.
You can request particular seating requirements when booking or at check-in. Where possible, we’ll attempt to accommodate seating requests.
If you change flights at short notice it may not be possible to accommodate all seating requests.
All of our international and domestic aircraft are equipped with torso harness restraints enabling a customer to remain upright during take-off, landing and if necessary, throughout the entire flight.
In some classes on certain aircraft however, torso restraints are not able to be used. Please call 13 13 13 within Australia or your local Qantas office before you travel to confirm this.
Our torso harness restraint is made from seat belt webbing, lamb’s wool and installed using the existing aircraft seat belt. For safety reasons, customers are unable to provide their own torso restraint (with the exception of a CARES harness for children).
If you need to use a restraint please give us at least 48 hours' notice. Where less than 48 hours' notice is given, we’ll attempt to have a torso harness restraint available for that flight, but cannot guarantee one will be available.
Our torso harness restraint is suitable for adult and child use.
A customer requiring the use of an inflatable pressure cushion while in an aircraft seat may use the cushion during non-critical phases of a flight. It is the responsibility of the customer or their assistant/carer to inflate and deflate the cushion and to place the cushion correctly on the seat.
Qantas may be able to organise a special meal if you have dietary, medical needs or religious beliefs. Conditions and restrictions apply, including the amount of time that Qantas requires to order a special meal. These meals must be requested at time of reservation and can be requested online through menu select.
Boarding and disembarkation
Passengers with specific needs will generally board before other passengers and disembark last after other passengers.
To ensure we have sufficient time to help you board the aircraft, we need you to complete all security and immigration formalities (if applicable) and be at the departure gate:
- 40 minutes before departure at domestic terminals
- 60 minutes before departure at international terminals (irrespective of whether the travel to be undertaken is a domestic or international sector of an international flight).
If you aren’t at the departure gate at these designated times, it may not be possible for you to travel on your booked flight and you may need to be re-booked onto the next available service.
Our friendly staff will provide assistance to passengers with mobility limitations, where required, including transferring passengers to and from their mobility aids and the aircraft seat.
Transits and transfers
If you’ve purchased a ticket that includes travel on another airline, be aware not all airlines offer the same specific assistance as Qantas. If travelling on another airline, you’ll need to discuss your specific assistance requirements both with the other airline and with Qantas.
Please call 13 13 13 within Australia or contact your local Qantas office as soon as possible to avoid inconvenience.
If your travel includes a transit, please ensure that you allow sufficient time between flights to facilitate the transfer of your mobility aid.