Hamilton Island Hotels
Surrounded by pristine white beaches and a beautiful array of coral and marine life, Hamilton Island is a perfect base for exploring the Great Barrier Reef and world-famous Whitehaven Beach.
Discover Hamilton Island
One of Australia’s most famous destinations, the Whitsunday archipelago is a gorgeous chain of 74 islands located in the middle of the Great Barrier Reef. This is a place of sun, sand and the bluest sea, where visitors can immerse themselves in some of Mother Nature’s best work.Perfectly placed for guests to explore the surrounding islands and reefs, Hamilton Island has developed into the largest inhabited island on the chain. With direct flights now offered from major Australian capitals, the popularity of Hamilton Island has exploded in recent years, and the choice of accommodation has followed suit.Ready to book your Hamilton Island adventure, but wondering where to stay? Qantas Hotels allows you to choose from over 200,000 hotel and accommodation options worldwide, including some of the finest in the Whitsundays. You’ll also earn 3 Qantas Points per A$1 spent* with Qantas Hotels.So let’s take a look at what you need to know about Hamilton Island and its hotels to make the most of your stay.
How do you get to Hamilton Island?
- By plane: As Hamilton Island is the only Whitsunday Island with its own commercial airport, guests can travel direct by plane. The island is serviced by daily flights from Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and Cairns.
- By ferry: Two ferries service Hamilton Island. One leaves from Airlie Beach and operates nine times a day, the other leaves from Shute Bay with three daily services. Hamilton Island is entirely car free, so if you choose to drive to the ferry you’ll need to find secure parking for your car on the mainland.
- By yacht: If you’re one of the lucky few to have access to a yacht, you can sail yourself right into the Hamilton Island Marina.
What is the best way to get around Hamilton Island?Hamilton Island is entirely car free - whether you arrive by plane, ferry, or yacht, you’ll be picked up at your port of entry by one of the island’s buggies (golf carts) or shuttle buses. Hamilton Island is small (around 6 km in both length and width), and almost all of the accommodation and services are squeezed into a 2 km strip in the northwest corner. This makes the island relatively easy to walk around, although buggies are available for hire and a regular shuttle bus service is provided to visitors.
Places to see
What are Hamilton Island’s must-see attractions?
- Catseye Beach: The main beach on Hamilton Island, the porcelain white sand and glorious row of palm trees will reassure you that you are indeed in paradise. Found on the resort side of the island, this spot is easily accessible from all hotels.
- Passage Peak: While you can take one of the golf buggies offered by many hotels, hiking up Passage Peak makes the view at the top all the more stunning. This is the best place to see the Whitsundays in all their glory, particularly if you can get there for a sunrise.
- Hamilton Island Reef: The island is surrounded by a gorgeous tropical reef, which is easily accessible off Catseye Beach. Grab a snorkel, and start your search for Nemo.
- Escape Beach: For those who prefer their sand more private, Escape Beach offers exactly what it says on the tin. Located on the southeast corner of the island, it’s a quick, nice walk or short buggy ride from the main town.
- WILD LIFE Hamilton Island: Whether you prefer sleepy koalas, cute wallabies or intimidating saltwater crocs, WILD LIFE Hamilton Island has you covered, with the full spectrum of Aussie fauna represented.
Find the right hotel
What is Hamilton Island’s best hotel for solo travellers?Perfectly private and business friendly, this hotel also offers ample opportunities to socialise should you want them. Check out Beach Club if you’re a solo traveller in Hamilton Island (and earn 3 Qantas Points per A$1 spent with Qantas Hotels while you do it!).
What are Hamilton Island’s best hotels for couples?Are you and your partner ready to use your Qantas Points to book your next getaway with Qantas Hotels? Romantic, secluded and luxurious, couples travelling to Hamilton Island could do far worse than experiencing the hospitality offered up by Palm Bungalows.
What are Hamilton Island’s best hotels for families?Heading to Hamilton Island with your tribe? Head to Whitsunday Apartments for a self-contained, family-friendly hotel that will warmly welcome your family and keep even the littlest ones entertained.
What are Hamilton Island’s best hotels for location and views?While every Hamilton Island accommodation option seems to serve up incredible views, those offered by Reef View Hotel, overlooking Catseye Beach and Hamilton Island Reef, almost outdo the lot.
What are Hamilton Island’s best hotels?After the best of the best? Perhaps the most luxurious 5-star escape on Hamilton Island can be found at qualia.
Why book with Qantas Hotels?
Frequently Asked Questions