Before booking and before departure, ensure you check the latest South AfricaOpens external site in a new window and AustralianOpens external site government conditions for travel, including any applicable Australian State Government restrictions and requirements, which may include mandatory travel and health declarations, vaccinations, use of face masks, and immigration and entry requirements (which may include renewing your passport, or applying for a visa), or you could be denied entry. This information is subject to change and we recommend you check these websites frequently for any updates.
Some countries have restrictions around transiting. If you're transiting via another country or onto another international flight, ensure you check the requirements of your transiting and destination country to ensure their Government allows you to transit.
If your itinerary includes travel with another airline, or Qantas codeshare flights which are operated by another airline on their aircraft, you'll need to contact them directly to understand and meet their requirements.
- Most COVID-19 travel restrictions have been lifted by the South African Government.Opens external site
- On arrival into South Africa, you may be required to undergo a temperature check.
- Consider purchasing travel insurance. Qantas Travel Insurance policies (which are available to Australian and New Zealand residents) can provide cover for some COVID-19 related events. Terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply. Consider the PDS and TMD (AU) or Policy Document (NZ) available on our website. Issuer: Pacific International Insurance.
If you're unable to be vaccinated due to medical reasons or you return a positive pre-departure COVID-19 test result, you may still be able to travel with us in some circumstances:
- Vaccination exemptions: You can request a vaccination exemption due to a medical condition that prevents you from being vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine. You'll also be required to show proof of a negative pre-departure COVID-19 test when you check-in.
- Prior positive medical clearance: If you've previously had a COVID-19 infection, you may be able to apply for medical clearance based on a past positive infection, provided you're no longer infectious and don’t have any symptoms. Check the government requirements to see if they permit exceptions for past positive infections, for any countries you're travelling to or transiting through, before submitting your request to us.
See more information on how to request COVID-19 vaccination exemptions and past positive medical clearance.
Keep up to date with the latest requirements
It’s important to continue to check the relevant government websites for the latest travel requirements, as these may change closer to your departure date and more information may become available.
- Australian GovernmentOpens external site
- South African GovernmentOpens external site in a new window
Inflight and airport services
Find out about any changes to your airport and inflight experience.
See inflight and airport services for more information.