Additional baggage allowance
Terms and conditions
If you wish to carry more than the free checked baggage allowance you may purchase an additional baggage allowance in advance at the time of booking or after flight purchase via manage booking.
Additional baggage allowance may be purchased directly after booking up to 3 hours before departure (provided the passenger has not checked in for the flight at the airport).
Additional baggage allowance is available to purchase in advance of your flight only if you hold a ticket for a domestic or international Qantas operated service with a QF flight number, provided that you are not connecting to/from a flight operated by another airline within 24 hours of your Qantas operated flight.
Additional baggage allowance is not available in advance:
- if you have already checked-in for your flight
- by telephone or at Qantas retail offices
- on flights operated by another carrier (such as codeshare or interline flights which do not have a QF flight number)
- if you've booked through Qantas Group Travel
- for infant bookings
- to standby or waitlisted passengers
- for carry-on baggage
- for unaccompanied minor bookings.
If you arrive at the airport with more baggage than your included allowance, normal airport excess baggage prices will apply, which are higher than the pre-purchased additional baggage allowance prices.
The maximum additional baggage that can be added to your booking is 100kgs or 5 pieces. For international flights (excluding to/from the Americas) the maximum additional baggage allowance that can be added per transaction is 35kg.
Additional baggage allowance is non-transferable. Customers who have purchased additional baggage allowance with their flight, and have requested a name change in the booking, will need to apply for a refund.
Domestic within Australia
A maximum of five additional pieces may be purchased in advance per Qantas operated flight. A maximum weight also applies for each additional piece, which is the same as the maximum weight per bag that applies to your baggage allowance. This depends on your class of travel, cabin class and Qantas Frequent Flyer Status or Qantas Club membership.
International - other than North and South America
Additional baggage allowance can be purchased for additional allowances of 5kg, 10kg, 15kg, 25kg or 35kg per flight.
For some travel agent bookings where we cannot identify if your ticket has been issued in weight or piece, additional baggage will be available by weight.
International - North and South America only
Additional baggage allowance may be purchased on a piece basis.
A maximum of five additional pieces may be purchased in advance per Qantas operated flight. A maximum weight also applies for each additional piece, which is the same as the maximum weight that applies to your baggage allowance. This depends on your class of travel, cabin class and Frequent Flyer Status or Qantas Club membership status.
Airport excess baggage charges will apply if your checked baggage exceeds your checked baggage allowance and any additional baggage allowance purchased in advance.
Additional baggage allowance can be purchased only at qantas.com and must be paid for using credit or debit card, or by redeeming Qantas Points. Payment cannot be a combination of points and dollars.
Prices quoted for additional baggage allowances are subject to change.
Once you have purchased your additional baggage allowance at qantas.com you must print out the receipt provided via email and bring it when you check in at the airport, as proof of purchase. A print out of the 'Manage booking' page is not acceptable.
Changes made by you:
- Your additional baggage allowance will be valid for the new flight at no additional cost, provided the route has not changed to a route with a higher price for additional baggage allowance.
- Where the route is changed and a higher price applies to the additional baggage allowance for the new route, the passenger must cancel the additional baggage allowance (subject to the requirements for refunds) and may purchase an additional baggage allowance for the new flight (subject to these terms and conditions).
- Passengers who move to earlier Qantas operated flights at the airport using a check-in kiosk or at the check-in desk will have their additional baggage allowance automatically moved to their new flight.
Changes made by Qantas:
- In the event of a schedule change, the additional baggage allowance will automatically be moved to the new flight provided it is operated by Qantas.
- Where the new flight is not operated by Qantas, or Qantas is unable to offer a suitable alternative flight, the additional baggage allowance will be refunded without charge.
If you have changed your mind, you may cancel and request a refund of your additional baggage allowance, subject to a processing fee, provided the request for refund is made at least 24 hours prior to scheduled departure time of the first flight in the booking (regardless of the carrier). If the fee exceeds the amount to be refunded then no refund will be paid.
Fees may change from time to time. Any increase will be notified on the applicable fee schedule at qantas.com or qantas.com/frequentflyer, at least one month prior.
Unless you are entitled to a refund under the Australian Consumer Law, you cannot request a refund:
- on or after the day of departure of the first flight in the booking (regardless of carrier)
- if you fail to check in for the flight and have not cancelled or changed your ticket
- for any unused portion of additional baggage allowance purchased.
All refunds will, where possible, be returned to passengers in the original form of payment used to purchase.
Where Qantas Points have been redeemed for additional baggage allowance, the points will be re-credited to the member's account.
To request a refund refer to the schedule of fees and contact us.
You must be a member of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program to earn and redeem points. Membership and points are subject to the terms and conditions of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program. A joining fee may apply.
Members can redeem points for additional baggage allowance, and must be logged into their Qantas Frequent Flyer profile at qantas.com to do so.
You must have sufficient points for redemption at the time of purchasing additional baggage allowance as Points Plus Pay is not available for additional baggage allowance purchases.
The points required for additional baggage allowance are variable and are only valid when quoted. There is no fixed relationship between the cash price charged for additional baggage allowance and the points required to redeem additional baggage allowance through Qantas Frequent Flyer.
The carriage of baggage is subject to space being available. While Qantas will use reasonable endeavours to carry baggage on the same flight as the passenger, there may be times when baggage will need to be transported on a later flight.
Refer to our Conditions of Carriage and checked baggage allowance policy for more information.
Search our FAQs for more information: