Travel documents

Before departure it's important to consider what travel documents you need for travel including your ticket, valid passport, forms of photo identification and more.


On this page


You need a valid airline ticket to travel on any domestic or international flight. If you’re travelling on an electronic ticket (e-ticket), you’ll be issued with an itinerary receipt that you should carry with you at all times. Familiarise yourself with our Conditions of Carriage.


All passengers need a valid passport for international travel, regardless of the destination.

Some countries require at least six months validity remaining on your passport; check with the consulates of all the countries you’re planning to visit prior to your departure, as you may be refused entry if you don't comply. 

Important things to know before you go:

  • Visit the IATA Travel CentreOpens in a new tab or window to check the passport validity requirements of your destination.
  • On departure, you need to present your passport, boarding pass and any required completed passenger departure documents.
  • When you arrive at your destination, you need to present your passport and any required completed passenger arrival documents.
  • If you need to apply for or renew an Australian passport visit Passports AustraliaOpens in a new tab or window for more details.

Machine readable passports

Most countries now require customers to travel with a machine readable passport. 

You should check with the embassy of the country you're travelling to for their specific passport requirements. Non-compliance can result in denied boarding.

Forms of identification

Acceptable forms of photo ID include:*

  • a valid passport (non-Australian customers must show a passport as ID);
  • a valid Driver’s Licence issued under a law of the Commonwealth of Australia or an Australian State or Territory;
  • a document issued by the Commonwealth of Australia, or a State or Territory of Australia, or by an authority of the Commonwealth of Australia, that identifies the person;
  • an Aviation Security Identification Card (ASIC) issued by the operator of the aircraft, or the operator of an airport in Australia;
  • an Australian university or TAFE photo identification card; or
  • an Australian-issued APEC card.

Travelling with a parent or guardian:

Children under 18 years of age travelling with a parent or guardian can travel without an acceptable form of ID as long as the parent or guardian has an acceptable form of ID. A Customer Service Agent will endorse the child’s boarding pass with the details of the accompanying adult.

Travelling unaccompanied:

Children under 18 years of age travelling unaccompanied and without an acceptable form of ID can still travel. A Customer Service Agent will escort the child through International departure and arrivals channels.

Note: there are additional requirements for children under 12 years of age travelling unaccompanied. For information on Australian domestic and international travel for unaccompanied minors visit children travelling alone

Travelling as part of an organised school or community-based group:

Children must be accompanied by a school teacher or adult group leader holding a letter of authority which verifies that the adult has permission to escort the children. The accompanying adult will be responsible for the children at all times. The letter should contain the following information:

  • purpose of the trip;
  • full names and dates of birth of the accompanying adult(s);
  • full names, dates of birth and sex of each children travelling.

For further information visit travelling with children and infants

If you're travelling on a domestic flight within Australia (flights QF400 and above), you'll need to carry the following items with you:

  • photo identification such as a driver's licence, passport or social security card; or
  • your Qantas booking reference (printed on your e-ticket itinerary receipt); or
  • your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership card, Qantas Club membership card; or
  • the credit card used to purchase the ticket.

Australian domestic flights departing from an international terminal (flights QF1-QF399) are flights between Australian capital cities that connect to or from a Qantas international service. For example, flight QF9 from Melbourne to Perth continues on as QF9 from Perth to London.

If you're travelling on a domestic flight departing from an international terminal, and are 18 years of age or over, you'll be asked to produce photo identification (ID) that includes your full name at check-in.

Important points to remember when travelling domestically on an international flight include:

  • Your booking name must match the ID you're using.
  • Check-in is at the international terminal of the city you're departing from and international check-in times apply.
  • Airport Customer Service Agents will check your ID and attach a 'D' (Domestic) sticker to your boarding pass.
  • You must keep your boarding pass and present it at customs clearance points at the commencement and conclusion of your flight. This is required to comply with the Migration regulations administered by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC).

Find out more about domestic passengers travelling on international flights at Australian Department of Home Affairs

Specific documentation must be presented when children are travelling to or from South Africa, including for children travelling alone

We’re required to check that passengers travelling to and from South Africa with a child hold appropriate documentation. Failure to provide these documents will result in passengers departing from South Africa being denied travel, or passengers travelling to South Africa being denied entry and repatriated.

Refer to the Department of Home Affairs - Republic of South Africa for further information.


A visa is permission for a non-citizen to travel to or transit through a particular country. To find out if you need a visa for travel to, or a transit visa to travel via, a particular country, visit the IATA Travel CentreOpens in a new tab or window

If you need a visa to travel to a particular country, you need to contact the embassy of the country you are visiting. Alternatively, for some visas you can visit VisaLink to request and process your visa application.^


The Australian Government requires some visitors and transit passengers to have a visa.

Visit the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs website for more information on if you need a visa, the types of visas available, and how to apply.

Alternatively, for some visas, you can visit VisaLink to request and process your visa application.^

If you have an e-visa for travel to Australia, ensure you have a printed copy to show at check-in and when boarding.

To enter Canada, you must have a valid eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization) before boarding your flight. The application process can take up to 72 hours so ensure you have applied for the visa in advance. Visit Canada's official website for more information.

When travelling to Bali or Jakarta, if you need a visa, then you may be able to apply for it in advance. 

Visit the Indonesian Immigration website for more information on applying for your electronic visa on arrival (e-VOA) before departure.

The New Zealand Government requires some visitors and transit passengers to have a New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority (NZeTA).

The United Kingdom is progressively introducing an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) that must be purchased before departure for all travel to or via the United Kingdom, unless you're required to apply for a visa.

Your Electronic Travel Authorisation can be purchased through the UK ETA app, or on their website, and it may take at least three business days for approval.

Visit the United Kingdom Electronic Visa Authorisation website for more information on requirements and from when it takes effect for your nationality.

Secure flight and Advance Passenger information

For travel to, from, within or over the USA you must provide passenger information required by the US authorities under the Secure Flight and Advance Passenger Information System (APIS) programs.

You must supply this information to us or your travel agent at the time of booking. Both Secure Flight and APIS information can be provided on manage booking

Secure flight

Secure Flight enables pre-screening of passenger information against USA Federal Government watch lists. Watch list matching applies to all domestic and international passengers travelling on flights into, out of, within, or over the USA. 

For more information, visit Transport Security Administration.

Advance Passenger Information System (APIS)

In addition to the information provided to the TSA, US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) requires carriers to submit passenger passport details, alien registration number (where applicable) and for flights arriving into the USA, country of residence details and address details in the USA (not required for US citizens and permanent residents). The carrier will not permit a passenger to board a flight to the USA unless CBP clearance has been received.

For further information about APIS, visit CBP (USA Customs and Border Protection).

Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA)

It's mandatory for all eligible nationals who plan to travel to the USA under the Visa Waiver Program to obtain an Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) at least 72 hours before departure.

An ESTA is only available from the US Customs and Border Protection ESTA website You'll be asked to answer basic eligibility questions and you will usually be advised within 72 hours if your travel is authorised under the Visa Waiver Program.

Note: The US Government has advised that ESTA applications are subject to a fee and is valid for two years or expiry date of passport (if less than two years).

To find out more about the ESTA program, refer to the US Customs and Border Protection ESTA website

US visit

The US Government introduced a mandatory program called US-VISIT, which is aimed at enhancing the security of the USA while expediting legitimate travel and trade. US-VISIT requirements are:

  • Anyone who requires a visa to travel to the USA will be fingerprinted (both index fingers scanned using an inkless device) and have a digital photograph taken on arrival into the USA.
  • Anyone travelling to the USA on the Visa Waiver Program will also be fingerprinted and have a digital photograph taken upon arrival in the USA.

TSA PreCheck

Qantas customers enrolled in a US trusted traveller program will be able to utilise TSA PreCheck at US airports.

TSA PreCheck is a US government program that allows travellers regarded as low risk by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), a US Department of Homeland Security agency, to pass through expedited security screening at participating US airport locations.

To use TSA PreCheck, if you're a US trusted traveller program member, you can add your Known Traveller Number (KTN) to your booking at Manage booking When checking in for flights, you should see the visible TSA PreCheck indicator on your boarding passes.

TSA PreCheck is not available upon arrival into Australia. For more information, visit TSA Precheck FAQs 

Arrival documents

When travelling internationally, you may be required to complete an arrival document. 

  • Check the government website for the countries you're travelling to determine if an online document needs to be completed before your arrival.
  • When arriving at an Australian international airport, you'll receive a Passenger Card that you need to complete for each passenger in your travelling party and present it with your passport at passport control.

Important information

Disclaimer:  * The Migration Regulations 1994 prescribe acceptable forms of identification for domestic passengers aged over 18, travelling on domestic sectors of International Flights. These forms of identification must be current, and must contain the full name and photograph of the presenting passenger.

Disclaimer: ^ VisaLink is a CIBT company. Qantas takes no responsibility for lost or misplaced documents that may occur during application. Qantas receives a commission from this provider for visa services made via Qantas.