Travel to Samoa
Travelling has changed, and you may need to do a little more planning and preparation before take-off. Ensure you check and comply with all airline and government travel requirements before arriving at the airport.
Last updated: 4 August 2022
On this page
Before booking and before departure, ensure you check the latest Government of SamoaOpens external site and Samoa Ministry of HealthOpens external site websites, plus the AustralianOpens external site government conditions for travel, including any applicable Australian state government restrictions and requirements, which may include mandatory travel and health declarations, COVID-19 testing, vaccinations, use of face masks, and immigration and entry requirements (which may include renewing your passport, or applying for a visa), or you could be denied entry. This information is subject to change and we recommend you check these websites frequently for any updates.
Some countries have restrictions around transiting. If you're transiting via another country or onto another international flight, ensure you check the requirements of your transiting and destination country to ensure their Government allows you to transit.
If your itinerary includes travel with another airline, or Qantas codeshare flights which are operated by another airline on their aircraft, you'll need to contact them directly to understand and meet their requirements.
Fully vaccinated passengers
Before departure you'll need to:
- Check if you're considered to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 according to the Samoa Government guidelines, which includes completing a full course of an approved vaccine at least 14 days before your flight. Exceptions apply for children under 12 years old. Note: the day of your second dose is considered day 0.
- Provide proof of a negative COVID-19 pre-departure test. This can be either an RT-PCR test or a Rapid Antigen Test administered by a registered medical professional.
Check the Samoa Ministry of Health websiteOpens external site in a new window for more information on entry requirements.
All other passengers
If you're unable to be vaccinated due to a medical condition, email the Samoa Health Authorities with a written report from a registered medical officer stating the reason for your exemption.
If you cannot be vaccinated for approved medical reasons, you'll need to submit your exemption documents to us prior to departure, and you may be required to show evidence of a negative pre-departure COVID-19 test result at the airport.
You'll need to present a paper copy of your COVID-19 test result and vaccination certificate on departure and on arrival in Samoa. Electronic documents are not accepted.
If you're unable to be vaccinated due to medical reasons or you return a positive pre-departure COVID-19 test result, you may still be able to travel with us in some circumstances:
- Vaccination exemptions: You can request a vaccination exemption due to a medical condition that prevents you from being vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine. You'll also be required to show proof of a negative pre-departure COVID-19 test when you check-in.
- Prior positive medical clearance: If you've previously had a COVID-19 infection, you may be able to apply for medical clearance based on a past positive infection, provided you're no longer infectious and don’t have any symptoms. Check the government requirements to see if they permit exceptions for past positive infections, for any countries you're travelling to or transiting through, before submitting your request to us.
See more information on how to request COVID-19 vaccination exemptions and past positive medical clearance.
Keep up to date with the latest requirements
It’s important to continue to check the relevant government websites for the latest travel requirements, as these may change closer to your departure date and more information may become available.
- Australian GovernmentOpens external site
- Government of SamoaOpens external site in a new window and Samoa Ministry of HealthOpens external site in a new window
Inflight and airport services
Find out about any changes to your airport and inflight experience.
See inflight and airport services for more information.