Special flights from Australia to the United Kingdom
As the national carrier, we're proud to operate selected flights on behalf of the Australian Federal Government to bring more people home during this unprecedented time.
If you’re an Australian citizen or a permanent resident you cannot leave Australia due to COVID-19 restrictions unless you have an exemption. Visit the Australian Department of Home Affairs website for more information.
Last updated: 16 October 2020
We’ll be operating the following flights:
- QF9, departing Sydney at 4.10pm on 19 October, arriving London Heathrow at 5.05am on 20 October 2020.
- QF9, departing Perth at 7.10pm on 19 October, arriving London Heathrow at 5.05am on 20 October 2020.
Flights will arrive at London Heathrow Terminal 2.
Flights are subject Government and regulatory approvals.
These flights are being operated for repatriation purposes and tickets are available in Business, Premium Economy and Economy. Services on these flights will be significantly reduced, including the following:
- limited onboard food and beverage service. Should you wish to bring food and non-alcoholic drinks for your flight, you’re welcome to do so. Note: as galley storage space is restricted, items you bring will need to be stored in your carry-on baggage. Drinks you choose to bring will also need to comply with any powders, liquids, aerosols and gels screening requirements where applicable.
- Inflight entertainment will be unavailable and we recommend you bring alternative material for your entertainment.
- Qantas Frequent Flyer benefits (Status Credits, Qantas Points and the option to upgrade with points) will not apply.
- Seat selection is unavailable.
- Seats are available until sold out.
- Due to the high number of passengers wanting to travel on these flights, it may not be possible to provide seat separation for all passengers, and you may be seated next to other passengers.
Make a flight booking, including using a Qantas Credit or TravelPass
Redeem a Flight Credit
Redeem your Flight Credit through Manage booking, by entering the credit reference and your last name.
Government travel requirements
- Ensure you check the latest government travel restrictions and information on quarantine before booking.
- If you are an Australian citizen or a permanent resident you cannot leave Australia due to COVID-19 restrictions unless you have an exemption. Visit the Australian Department of Home Affairs website for more information.
- Ensure you check current Australian travel alerts for the latest information when you’re leaving Australia.
Essential information to enter the United Kingdom
The United Kingdom is taking steps to help stop the spread of COVID-19.
- To protect your health and others’, everyone must complete an online passenger locator form before departure from Australia. Ensure you've completed the form as you'll be required to present it at check-in.
- You may be required to self-isolate for 14 days on arrival. Check the exempt countries list immediately before you travel as this list can change at short notice.
- It is a legal requirement that you wear a face covering on public transport in the UK.
Failure to comply with the above measures is a criminal offence and you could be fined. Visit gov.uk/uk-border-control for detailed public health advice and requirements for entering the United Kingdom.
Before being accepted for travel, you’ll be required to:
- complete the pre-travel health screen form online, and
- have your temperature taken at the airport.
Information regarding the check-in process and pre-flight health screening will be provided once your booking has been made.
On boarding the aircraft, you’ll be provided with a Fly Well pack, which contains a face mask, hand sanitiser and a disposal bag for used masks. Face masks must be worn for the duration of the flight. You’ll be required to change your mask every two hours throughout the flight, and replacement masks will be provided.
Pre-existing medical conditions
- Cabin baggage must not exceed 1 piece, weighing a maximum of 7kgs per passenger.
- Checked baggage allowance is 30kgs per passenger, where the total dimensions for each piece must not exceed 158cm (62in). You can calculate the dimensions by adding together the width, height and depth of the piece of baggage.
- If you need an additional checked baggage allowance, you can purchase it online before travel. Note: excess baggage can't be purchased at the airport before departure.