Deaf or hearing impaired passengers
If you're deaf or hearing impaired, we've outlined the details you may need from the time you make a booking right through to your arrival.
On this page
If you require assistance when you travel with us and you have booked through qantas.com, contact us for assistance with your specific needs immediately after you’ve made your booking to advise of any specific requirements.
- It’s useful for us to know, for example, whether you lip read or would like staff to use a pen and paper or to speak louder, as we would like to provide you with the best service possible.
- You are not required to travel with a carer unless you have specific requirements. If you do need to travel with a carer, you may be eligible for discounted airfares.
- If you would like to travel with your accredited Service Dog, contact us for assistance.
- Customers who are deaf or who have a hearing or speech impairment can call Qantas for information and reservations via the National Relay ServiceOpens external site (NRS), 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- TTY users phone 133 677 (or +61 7 3815 7799 if calling from outside Australia) then ask for 02 9123 7471.
- Speak and listen (speech-to-speech relay) users phone 1300 555 727 (or + 61 7 3815 8000 if calling from outside Australia) then ask for 02 9123 7471.
- Internet relay users connect to the NRS then ask for 1800 177 474.
- You are not required to notify us if you wish to bring on board hearing aids, special headsets for use with our in-flight entertainment system, audio receivers or other battery operated assistive listening devices that do not require aircraft power.
- If you plan to bring onboard a transmitting device or assistive listening device that requires aircraft power, please let us know when you book so we can check that it's compliant with our safety requirements.
- A Meet and Assist Service can be provided if you need assistance within the airport. Advise us of this requirement at the time of booking.
- At all Qantas terminals within Australia, kerbside assistance may be provided subject to the availability of staff. Upon arrival at the airport, you must be accompanied by someone who can advise Qantas staff that you require assistance kerbside.
- We are unable to allocate you an exit row seat if you are deaf or hearing impaired unless your hearing is corrected by use of a hearing aid/device. This is because passengers seated in exit rows may be required to assist and respond to crew instructions in the event of an emergency. Find out more about the requirements and additional conditions for exit row seats.
- We provide hearing loops in some airport terminals and airport lounges. Signage will be visible to indicate where this is available.
- We provide captioning on some television programs in some airport terminals and some airport lounges.
- If your hearing is not corrected by use of a hearing aid/device, you will board first and be provided with an individual safety briefing.
- When inflight announcements are made, Cabin Crew will do their best to provide relevant individual updates to you (where operationally possible) using your preferred communication method (e.g. lip reading or written notes). Please make yourself known to the crew to indicate your preferences.
- We provide captioning on some of our inflight entertainment programs and movies.
- Qantas offers three subtitled or captioned English language movies on all Qantas services that have Audio Visual On Demand (AVOD) in-flight entertainment systems. This is in addition to a number of foreign language films with English subtitles available on long-haul aircraft (Airbus 380, Boeing 787, Airbus 330) that are equipped with AVOD.
- If you choose to bring your own headset, a two-pronged jack is required to connect to our AVOD inflight entertainment system. A one-pronged jack is required to use the iPads provided on eligible flights. If required, you'll need to bring your own adaptor.
- Hearing aids and devices that use Bluetooth can be used at all times onboard Airbus 330, Airbus 380, Boeing 787, Boeing 737 and QantasLink aircraft.
At your request, we can assist you with flight connections and the transfer of your baggage.