Shifting customer and workforce preferences
Responding to changes in consumer and employee expectations.
Future generations of consumers and employees will expect more of business. Both will interact with companies in fundamentally different ways than their parents' generation.
As Generations Y and Z become a majority of the global workforce, their spending power and influence will grow. The choices they make will increasingly be determined by a company's values and social impact, as much as its products and services.
Businesses that provide meaningful jobs and opportunities, embrace innovation, and have a voice on social issues will be well placed to attract talent and win new customers as demographic change occurs.
How Qantas is responding
We're planning now for the workforce we'll need in the future through our new Strategic Workforce Planning Function.
- In response to the surge in global demand for pilots, we’re creating two pilot academies in Toowoomba and Mackay and increasing the intake of female pilots to 40 per cent within the next decade. The academies will ultimately train up to 500 pilots a year, ensuring a talent pipeline for Qantas Group airlines as well as supporting the industry more broadly.
- Through our Future Pilot Program, QantasLink has established formal relationships with six Australian universities to attract the best and brightest into the airline, and Jetstar has started a similar arrangement in New ZealandOpens external site in a new window.
- We continue to invest in the next generation of employees through our corporate graduate and engineering apprenticeship programs and our internship partnership with Career Trackers focused on Indigenous talent.
- Our People Experience Strategy makes the Qantas Group a great place to work, redesigning internal processes to make them more user-friendly, creating better physical workplace environments and developing training programs.
- Our brand and community partnerships strategy reflects our values as an inclusive company, the role we play in the community, and our commitment to fostering innovation.
See how we are working with our partners to celebrate the importance of diversity to Australian national life.