On Wednesday 26 May 2021, this exclusive one-off Supermoon Scenic Flight will depart Sydney for a two-and-a-half-hour sojourn through the southern sky.
After taking in the Sydney Harbour nightlights on departure, the aircraft will climb above any cloud cover and head east out over the Pacific Ocean.
Onboard our B787 Dreamliner aircraft, featuring the biggest windows on any passenger aircraft, enjoy mother nature's night lights at 40,000 feet, followed by a viewing of the rising of the supermoon which also happens to be a total lunar eclipse, a highly unusual double act.
CSIRO astronomer Dr Vanessa Moss will work with our pilots to design the optimal flight path and also join the flight to provide insights into supermoons and all things space and astronomy.
Flight QF1250 departs Sydney Domestic Airport (T3) on Wednesday, 26 May 2021.
Arrive at the Qantas Business lounge from 5.30pm for a pre-flight cocktail party including surprise entertainment. Then take off on your Supermoon Scenic Flight at 7.30pm, get up closer to the supermoon and lunar eclipse before returning to Sydney at 10.15pm.
You'll also enjoy:
- private charter Qantas B787 Dreamliner flight with large windows ideal for viewing,
- inflight commentary by expert CSIRO astronomer, Dr Vanessa Moss,
- guaranteed to get above any cloud cover for supermoon viewing,
- exclusive merchandise,
- inflight food and beverages,
- gift bag for all passengers, and
- a commemorative certificate.
This offer is available until sold out, and is subject to minimum passenger requirements.
Important information about your flight:
- We recommend that you select your seat when making your booking so you can choose the seat that suits you. View the seat map. Seat swapping isn't permitted once you've booked or inflight, and window seats are expected to sell quickly.
- Classic Upgrade Rewards aren't available.
- Carry-on baggage is limited to two pieces only: a day pack weighing a maximum of 7kg plus a handbag or camera bag. Checked baggage won't be accepted.
- The flight path is subject to change due to weather conditions on the day and there may be an alternative flight path.
- If you'd like to join this flight, and you're travelling to Sydney from another state before the flight, ensure you check the latest Government travel requirements, which may include mandatory health declarations, use of face masks, entry permits, pre-approval and quarantine (possibly at your own expense), or you could be denied entry.
Flying carbon neutral
The flight will operate with net zero emissions – with 100% of emissions carbon offset.
The Qantas Group is committed to reducing its impact on the environment and was the second airline group in the world to announce it would commit to net zero carbon emissions by 2050.
Read more about our aviation sustainability initiatives.
While the risk of COVID-19 inflight transmission remains extremely low, we’ve introduced a range of measures to ensure a safe environment onboard. On these special scenic flights, all passengers and crew will be required to wear a mask for the duration of the flight. Masks are provided in our complimentary Fly Well packs, which are available for collection at your departure gate before boarding, and additional masks are available onboard. You can also bring your own mask to wear if you prefer.
If you're feeling unwell and experiencing COVID-19 symptoms in the week leading up to your flight, you should defer your travel plans. If you need to defer your plans, contact us on 13 13 13 before departure to discuss your options.
The Qantas Supermoon Scenic Flight is available for new bookings only. Flight Credits or Qantas TravelPasses cannot be used to book these experiences.
Disclaimer: * Prices are per passenger in Australian Dollars, based on payment at qantas.com by BPAY made 7 days or more before departure, POLi or Qantas issued UATP. For other payment options a percentage based fee applies, capped at a maximum per passenger of $22. Prices are not guaranteed until payment is made.
The price is per person for the inclusions as stated above and return Business, Premium Economy or Economy Qantas flights, as applicable. Offer is subject to availability. Food and beverage offerings vary between flights. All schedules subject to change, including last minute aircraft changes. Cancellation and changes are not permitted if you change your mind. No fees apply if you're entitled to a refund or other remedy under the Australian Consumer Law or Conditions of Carriage. Prices are not guaranteed until payment is made in full and Qantas confirms your booking. All travel is subject to the Qantas Conditions of Carriage and applicable Fare Rules.
Disclaimer: ^ You must be a member of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program and include your Qantas Frequent Flyer number in your booking to earn Qantas Points. A joining fee may apply. Membership, points and Status Credits are subject to the Qantas Frequent Flyer program terms and conditions. The earn rate for Qantas Points and Status Credits is based on the cabin travelled irrespective of your Frequent Flyer status. Qantas Points and Status Credits will be credited to Qantas Frequent Flyers within three business days of completion of travel.
State border restrictions are constantly changing. Before you book and before you travel, check the latest travel restrictions and important information.
Image credit - Economy supermoon image - Dr Vanessa Moss, CSIRO.