Travelling with Pets
You can book and pay for your customer’s accompanied pet travel through Manage Booking or Qantas FreightOpens external site in a new window on Qantas marketed and operated Australian domestic flights.
Additional charges may apply, subject to sighting the pet and crate, if the pet crate and size has been incorrectly booked.
A service fee of A$33 will be charged for any domestic accompanied pet bookings made directly with Qantas Contact Centres, which could be booked online.
The pet becomes unaccompanied, please contact Qantas Freight.
Your customer can choose an alternate flight number/travel dates for the pet to be accompanied, any additional fare and tax collection will apply.
Accompanied pets are considered to be:
- Travelling on the same flight number as your customer
- Dogs, cats, domestic birds, domestic fish, guinea pigs, rabbits, chickens, ducks and geese
Please contact Qantas Freight on 13 12 13 should:
- The pet or livestock be travelling as unaccompanied, internationally or within 24 hours of departure
- You need to book American Staffordshire or Snub Nosed breeds
- Your customer is travelling with more pets than passengers
- Travel involves connecting to or from international flights
- The pet and crate weight exceeds 65kg on services other than regional ports
- Travel to regional ports, if the pet and crate weight exceeds 50kg
- You would like to clarify quarantine regulations
Qantas reserves the right to refuse carriage of a pet for certain reasons, including:
- Safety or security reasons
- In order to comply with applicable laws, regulations or orders
- Non-compliance with our directions by the person travelling with the pet
- Animals showing aggression or of an overt aggressive nature
- Animals showing excessive signs of chewing or cage destruction at time of lodgement
Your Customers' Booking
Accompanied pet bookings can be made through Manage Booking or Qantas FreightOpens external site in a new window.
We recommend the accompanied pet booking is made prior to your customer’s flight booking as restrictions can apply to the number of pet containers available per flight and Freight Terminal operating hours.
Accompanied pet bookings for domestic travel can only be booked between 112 days and 24 hours prior to departure.
New Pet Booking with no Commercial Flight Booked
Step 1: Customer to view their preferred flights.
Step 2: Go to Qantas FreightOpens external site to make a pet booking. If there is no availability for the pet/s on the flight, they will need to choose alternate flight number/travel date.
Step 3: Book your customer’s commercial flights to match the pet booking.
No Pet Booking with Existing Commercial Flight Booked
Step 1: Go to Manage Booking.
Step 2: Add customer’s booking reference and surname and select 'Go'.
Step 3: Manage Booking page is displayed, scroll to the bottom of the page. ‘Take your pet with you’ tile will display if freight operates from the terminal.
Step 4: Follow the prompts to make the pet booking.
- Australian Domestic check-in is between 90 - 120 minutes
- Pets will not be accepted more than 120 minutes ~ prior to departure
- The owner must have their e-ticket or boarding pass available together with current photo identification and the pet booking confirmation
~ in order to minimise the time the pet is in the freight terminal as opportunities for hydration, exercise, and toileting can be limited
Pet Booking Changes*
The online pet booking system allows you to:
- Change flight date and time as long as the departure and arrival destinations remain unchanged.
- Update basic details such as contact details and pet name.
If the departure/arrival city or crate size is changing, your customer will need to cancel their pet booking. A full refund will be processed to the original credit card used for payment if it is cancelled at least 14 days prior to original flight departure.
If the pet booking is being changed within 14 days, please contact Qantas Freight on 13 12 13 for assistance.
*If the pet becomes unaccompanied additional charges will apply
Pet Booking Cancellations
- Outside 14 days of scheduled flight departure - A full refund will be processed to the original credit card used for payment of the pet booking.
- Inside 14 days of scheduled flight departure - customers will not be eligible for a refund.