Assistance on board
Qantas' seating allocation system allocates appropriate seats to passengers with specific needs, including:
- not seating passengers with specific needs in the exit rows (due to Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) requirements);
- where possible, seating passengers with specific needs in aisle seats with movable armrests;
- in Economy Class (not First, Business or Premium Economy), where possible blocking seats next to passengers travelling with Service Dogs or Service Dogs Under Training where there is a seat available. For passengers travelling in premium cabins, the Service Dog is generally able to sit at the passenger's feet - but there are some aircraft types where Service Dogs cannot be carried in premium cabins at all;
- if you have advised Qantas in advance that you are travelling with an assistant or carer, ensuring the assistant or carer sits adjacent to or near you, where possible; or
- where there is an accessible toilet available on the aircraft, the pre-flight editing will automatically seat passengers with specific needs near the accessible toilet.
You can request particular seating requirements when booking or at check-in. Where possible, Qantas will attempt to accommodate seating requests.
If you change flights at short notice it may not be possible to accommodate all seating requests.
All Qantas international and domestic aircraft are equipped with torso harnesses/restraints which enable a customer to remain upright during take-off, landing and if necessary, throughout the entire flight. However, in some classes on certain Qantas aircraft, torso harnesses/restraints are not able to be used.
The Qantas torso harness/restraint is made from seat belt webbing, lambs wool and installed using the existing aircraft seat belt. For safety reasons, customers are unable to provide their own torso harness/restraint (with the exception of a CARES harness for children).
If you require the use of a torso harness/restraint please give us at least 48 hours' notice. Where less than 48 hours' notice is given, we will attempt to have a torso harness/restraint available for that flight, but cannot guarantee that one will be available.
The Qantas torso harness/restraint is suitable for adult and child use.
A customer requiring the use of an inflatable pressure cushion while in an aircraft seat may use the cushion during non-critical phases of a flight. It is the responsibility of the customer or their assistant/carer to inflate and deflate the cushion and to place the cushion correctly on the seat.
Qantas may be able to organise a special meal if you have dietary, medical needs or religious beliefs. Conditions and restrictions apply, including the amount of time that Qantas requires to order a special meal. These meals must be requested at time of reservation.