Compensation for Mobility Equipment
Where your travel is International Carriage and a Convention applies, our liability for damage to checked baggage is limited by the Convention except where you prove that the damage resulted from an act or failure to act either done with the intention to cause damage or recklessly and with knowledge that damage would probably result.
Our liability for loss of, damage to, or delay in the carriage of your baggage is limited by the applicable Convention as follows:
- Montreal Convention 1999 - 1,131 SDRs (about A$2,046) cumulative for both checked baggage and cabin baggage. In the case of checked baggage, we will not be liable if the baggage was defective, unless Article 22.5 of the Montreal 1999 Convention applies in which case these limits do not apply. We will only be liable for cabin baggage if we were at fault.
- Conventions other than the Montreal Convention 1999 - 250 francs (about A$31) for each kilo of your checked baggage affected or 5,000 francs (about A$601) for your cabin baggage, unless Article 25 of the Warsaw Convention applies, in which case these limits do not apply.
However, if the law which applies provides for different limits of liability, those different limits will apply.
You are encouraged to lodge a report of any damage to your baggage at Baggage Services or to a local Qantas representative before you leave the airport. If you are unable to make a report before you leave the airport, please make your claim within the time limits set out below and by filling in our Customer Care Form and uploading the following documentation:
- Baggage receipt
- Photographic evidence of your damaged baggage
- Except to the extent required by law, Qantas is not liable for fragile, perishable or valuable items.
- Qantas is not liable for minor damage caused to baggage due to normal wear and tear, including scratches and dents or damage to straps, hooks or other external features attached to the baggage.
Any claim for loss, damage or delay of baggage must be reported in writing to Qantas within the following timeframes:
For domestic travel (no international sectors)
- 3 days from receipt of remainder of item, where only part of an item has been lost damaged or delayed.
- 21 days from the date of intended receipt, if the whole item has been lost, damaged or delayed.
For International Carriage
- In the case of damage to your baggage, as soon as you discover the damage after you have received the baggage, and at the latest within 7 days.
- In the case of delay, within 21 days from when the baggage has been made available to you.