Contact us about specific needs
Passengers or carers with queries or feedback relating to specific needs, please contact us to provide further information.
On this page
Assistance for passengers travelling with a disability to and from the USA, regarding discrimination or our services provided.
The United States Department of Transportation's (US DoT) Final Ruling on Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Disability in Air Travel (Final Ruling) applies to Qantas flights operating to and from the United States of America.
US DoT 14 CFR Part 382 Final Ruling - Non Discrimination on the Basis of Disability in Air Travel
Certain provisions of 14 CFR Part 382 are applicable to foreign carriers operating flights to and from the United States. You can view an up to date consolidated version of 14 CFR 382 If you would like a copy of Part 382 in accessible format, you can obtain one from the US DoT by contacting the US DoT by any of the means listed below.
Complaints Resolution Official (CRO)
If a passenger has a complaint or concern regarding discrimination, accommodations or services provided by Qantas in respect of a passenger with a disability and the cabin crew or airport ground staff member is unable to immediately resolve that issue to the passenger's satisfaction or provide the requested accommodation, the passenger can ask that staff member to contact a Complaints Resolution Official (CRO) to assist to resolve the complaint or concern.
All Qantas CRO's have received disability awareness training, and training in the requirements of the Final Ruling and are ready to assist passengers with any issues or concerns that may arise in relation to their travel experience to and from the United States. Qantas CRO's are available in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Honolulu, Los Angeles, Dallas/Fort Worth, New York and San Francisco. Where the passenger is unable to resolve the complaint to their satisfaction, the passenger may refer their complaint or concern to the US DoT in writing, no later than six months after the date of the incident, by mail or online using the relevant details below.
Contact details for the US DoT
Toll-Free Hotline from within the USA, for Air Travelers with Disabilities
1-800-778-4838 (voice) or
Aviation Consumer Protection Division
(+1) 202-366-2220 (voice) or
(+1) 202-366-0511 (TTY)
Aviation Consumer Protection Division, C-75
U.S. Department of Transportation
1200 New Jersey Ave, SE, West Building, Room W96-432
Washington, DC 20590.
It's our aim to help you travel around Australia and across the world with ease. Our Disability Access Facilitation Plan contains all the special assistance information you'll need for when you travel with us, so you can get to the airport relaxed and ready to fly.
Access the Qantas Disability Access Facilitation Plan (PDF).
Where you’re travelling internationally, our liability for damage to checked baggage is limited by the Convention except where you prove that the damage resulted from an act or a failure to act either done with the intention to cause damage or recklessly and with knowledge that damage would probably result.
Our liability for loss of, damage to, or delay in the carriage of your baggage is limited by the applicable Convention as follows:
- Montreal Convention 1999 - 1,131 SDRs (about A$2,046) cumulative for both checked baggage and cabin baggage. In the case of checked baggage, we will not be liable if the baggage was defective, unless Article 22.5 of the Montreal 1999 Convention applies in which case these limits do not apply. We will only be liable for cabin baggage if we were at fault.
- Conventions other than the Montreal Convention 1999 - 250 francs (about A$31) for each kilo of your checked baggage affected or 5,000 francs (about A$601) for your cabin baggage, unless Article 25 of the Warsaw Convention applies, in which case these limits do not apply.
However, if the law which applies provides for different limits of liability, those different limits will apply.
You're encouraged to lodge a report of any damage to your baggage at baggage services or to a local Qantas representative before you leave the airport. If you're unable to make a report before you leave the airport, please make your claim within the time limits set out below and email Qantas baggage claims with the following information:
- e-ticket document or paper ticket
- baggage receipt
- photo evidence of your damaged baggage.
- Except to the extent required by law, Qantas is not liable for fragile, perishable or valuable items.
- Qantas is not liable for minor damage caused to baggage due to normal wear and tear, including scratches and dents or damage to straps, hooks or other external features attached to the baggage.
Any claim for loss, damage or delay of baggage must be reported in writing to Qantas within the following timeframes:
For domestic travel (no international sectors)
- 3 days from receipt of remainder of item, where only part of an item has been lost damaged or delayed.
- 21 days from the date of intended receipt, if the whole item has been lost, damaged or delayed.
For international carriage
- In the case of damage to your baggage, as soon as you discover the damage after you have received the baggage, and at the latest within 7 days.
- In the case of delay, within 21 days from when the baggage has been made available to you.
Amounts quoted in Australian Dollars (A$) correct as at 2 July 2017.
If you have a complaint or are dissatisfied with the service provided, please get in contact with us.
Qantas Customer Care
Qantas Airways Limited
10 Bourke Road, Mascot NSW 2020.
Phone Customer Care
1300 659 161 within Australia, or
+61 2 8222 2532 outside Australia
24 hours a day, 7 days per week.
National Relay Service
For TTY users:
133 755 within Australia
+61 7 3815 7799 outside Australia, then ask for Qantas Customer Care on 1300 659 161, 24 hours a day, 7 days per week, or +61 2 9691 3399 outside Australia.
For Speak and listen (speech-to-speech relay) users:
1300 555 727 within Australia
+61 7 3815 8000 outside Australia, then ask for Qantas Customer Care on 1300 659 161, 24 hours a day, 7 days per week, or +61 2 9691 3399 outside Australia.