Tamworth is best known for its country music festival in January, but Australia's country music capital has plenty more on offer.
The city of Tamworth sits in the heart of north-west New South Wales at the junction of the New England and Oxley Highways.
While best known for the annual Country Music Festival, the region also offers gourmet restaurants, vineyards, outdoor activities and the warm welcome of rural Australia at its finest.
* Prices include taxes, fees and carrier charges payable to Qantas (approximately US$70-US$170 as at 11 November 2016, depending on the routing selected) (exclude any amounts payable to third parties at the airport) and are based on payment at qantas.com. Prices may vary depending on flight route and operating carrier and may fluctuate if taxes or foreign exchange rate change. Fares may not be available on all flights or days. Some flights are operated by partner or subsidiary airlines.
Dust off your boots and find the part of Tamworth that really inspires you.
- Immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere of the Country Music FestivalOpens external site in a new window headlining some of country music’s biggest names
- Wander through the Walk a Country Mile exhibit at the Australian Country Music Foundation Hall of FameOpens external site in a new window
- Tantalise your tastebuds at the annual Taste Tamworth FestivalOpens external site in a new window in April/May, showcasing the region’s best in local food and produce over 10 days
- Open year round, the Farm Gate TrailOpens external site in a new window offers special tasting sessions, market days, honey production tours and live music.
Visit the Tamworth region for your fill of food and wine, country music, rural history, and scenic drives to picturesque townships.
Stay in Australia’s country music capital and enjoy its year round hospitality and event calendar.
- Stop into Australia's Big Golden Guitar Tourist CentreOpens external site in a new window to browse the unique 'The Gallery of Stars' wax museum and a large selection of Australian and international country music CDs and DVDs
- Experience the annual 10 day Tamworth Country Music Festival
- In town you'll see the Hands of Fame Park that contains the handprints of more than 300 country music stars as well as the iconic 12 metre high Golden Guitar
- This region has a strong agricultural focus with sheep, beef, poultry, grains and dairy all farmed here, as well as newer agricultural ventures such as vineyards, olive groves, nuts, fish farming, honey, hydroponics and delicious berries – many of which are served at local Tamworth restaurants
- Visit Tamworth’s Regional Entertainment and Conference CentreOpens external site in a new window or the unique Australian Equine and Livestock Events CentreOpens external site in a new window for special events year round.
Tamworth Hanging Rock
Branch out and stay in the wider Tamworth area for an abundance of nature experiences and historic gold mining towns.
- Just a 40 minute drive from Tamworth is the historic gold mining town of Nundle, full of old-world antiques, home wares, bake ware and crafts
- Drive to Hanging Rock Lookout for spectacular views of the Nundle valley
- Visit the 55 metre Chaffey Dam and take in the 542 hectare surface area and the beauty of the surrounding countryside from its lookout
- Established in the 1800’s on the back of the gold rush, the country town of Barraba is now known for its top class cattle studs and its wool growing
- Admire the period architecture along the main street of the historic town of Manilla, 45 kilometres from Tamworth. The main street is lined with many verandahs featuring cast iron lace work and facades of multi-coloured bricks.
Australian Dollar (AU$)
230V / 50Hz
62,000 (Tamworth Region)
Tamworth has a warm climate with hot summers between December and February and mild winters between June and August. The average temperature range is between 17°C and 33°C in summer and 3°C and 17°C in winter.
From the airport
Tamworth Airport is located 10km from Tamworth’s town centre and is serviced by taxis.
In and around the city
Transport within the regionOpens external site in a new window includes bus and taxi services, as well as car hire providers.
Tamworth car hire
See the countryside at your own pace and book a car with Avis, Budget, Hertz or Thrifty with no booking fees.
Your flight with Qantas
Enjoy larger portions and a greater menu variety on every flight when you fly with us.
Enjoy a range of entertainment on every flight, including news, TV, film, radio and more.
Pack more into your trip with complimentary checked baggage allowance on every flight.
Book on qantas.com and enjoy the best deals on flights, car hire, activities, hotels and more.
* Prices include taxes, fees and carrier charges payable to Qantas (approximately US$70 – US$170 as at 11 November 2016) (exclude any amounts payable to third parties at the airport) and are based on payment at qantas.com. Prices may fluctuate if taxes or foreign exchange rate change. Fares may not be available on all flights or days. Some flights are operated by partner or subsidiary airlines. Prices are not guaranteed until payment is made. Availability is limited. Passengers booking Premium Economy may be seated in Economy on connecting flights. Check the fare rules for more details before booking. Inclusions vary between flights. All schedules subject to change, including last minute aircraft changes.
^ You must be a Qantas Frequent Flyer to earn and redeem Qantas Points. A joining fee may apply. Membership and points are subject to the Qantas Frequent Flyer program terms and conditions.
** Prices are per room, per night and vary depending on date of check in, length of stay and room type. Conditions apply.