Dallas is Texas' most mythical city, rich in the stuff that American legends are made of.
Once a great place to settle down, Dallas is now a thriving, vibrant city that has a little something to offer everyone. Art, music, and food – 'Big D' has them all on tap and delivers with a distinctly Texas flair.
* Prices are based on payment at qantas.com by BPAY or POLi for bookings made 7 days or more before departure or by debit or prepaid card for bookings made within 7 days of departure. A fee applies for other card payments. Fares may not be available on all flights or days. Some flights are operated by partner or subsidiary airlines.
Tick off the big ones like a visit to Southfork Ranch and the Sixth Floor Museum where Lee Harvey Oswald took his fatal mark on JFK.
- See a performance in the intimate Frank Lloyd Wright designed Kalita Humphreys theatre on Turtle Creek
- See the dramatic concrete and glass cube of the Perot Museum of Nature and Science
- Get fitted for a top pair of cowboy boots at Cowboy Cool
- Shop for designer at the original flagship luxury department store of Neiman Marcus
- Take a self-guided art tour that includes the giant bronze bulls in Pioneer Plaza
- Mosey down Main Street in the historic town of Grapevine and visit its nearby wineries.
When you visit you’ll find a vibrant metro area that extends from swanky Uptown and the ultra-modern Victory Park development, to the elegance and old-money attitude of Turtle Creek, through to the gritty authentic suburbs.
Whether you are staying here or not, you’ll end up Downtown at some point - it’s the location of the Sixth Floor Museum, the vibrant West End and Dallas Arts districts and the Plaza of the Americas or Neiman Marcus shopping centres.
You’ll find excellent restaurants in the former warehouse district of Dallas’s West End - revitalised with hotels, restaurants, conversions and featuring a busy nightlife and shopping scene.
On the north side, Dallas Arts District is the creative hub of Downtown Dallas with a large number of venues for the fine and performing arts, including the Dallas Museum of Art, AT&T Performance Centre, Nasher Sculpture Centre, Meyerson Symphony Centre, and the Crow Collection of Asian Art.
Greenville Avenue and East Dallas
It’s here that you’ll find Dallas’ classic ‘streetcar suburbs’ with their early 20th century bungalow architecture.
Northeast of Downtown, Upper Greenville has a sophisticated scene that attracts urbanites while Lower Greenville is more boho chic with an eclectic mix of nightclubs, bars, restaurants, vintage clothing places and retro furniture stores.
In East Dallas, the former industrial district of Deep Ellum is now a fully-fledged nightlife area with a musical bent along with great restaurants, galleries and antique markets. You’ll also find Art Deco Fair Park, the iconic Cotton Bowl, eight museums, Dallas Aquarium and the planetarium. Further south, in Lakewood, visit the Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Gardens in the leafy residential neighbourhood Lakewood.
Uptown and Oak Lawn
One of the major attractions of Uptown is the $3 billion Victory Park with galleries and design stores, antique shops, modern restaurants, destination shopping strips and malls, luxury hotels and modern condos.
West Village is one of the hottest spots for nightlife and shopping. Uptown also includes the artsy suburbs of Oak Lawn, Cedar Springs and Turtle Creek with their fabulous hotels, restaurants and shopping along with Lloyd Wright’s Dallas Theater Centre.
Highland Park Village
Locals often refer to this area as Highland Park because it’s most commonly associated with the fancy shopping in the designer boutiques of Highland Park Village.
There’s also the wonderful Meadows Museum and the excellent George W Bush Centre (with over 70 million pages relating to history and political science, interactive displays, the infamous Florida voting chads and a replica of Bush’s Oval office).
North Dallas and Preston Hollow
You’ll find plenty of swanky hotels and restaurants in the fancy neighbourhoods on the northern edge of Dallas. Addison has the Galleria, Valley View and Prestonwood malls.
North Oak Cliff, or Kessler Park, is another desirable streetcar suburb with 1930s bungalows, mid-century moderns and new contemporary homes. The hip Bishop Arts District around Bishop and Davis streets draws creative types to its bars, galleries, restaurants, cafes and eclectic boutiques.
The main attraction of West Dallas is Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge across Trinity River, designed by Spanish architect and engineer Santiago Calatrava. The Belmont Hotel has fantastic views of Downtown, and a brilliant mural.
US Dollar (US$)
110V / 60 Hz
Dallas experiences short, moderate winters and long hot summers. Winter (December to February) highs are in the mid-teens (degrees celsius). Average highs in the mid-20s begin in April and continue to October, with average highs in the 30s from June to August.
From the airport
Qantas flights to Dallas arrive at Terminal D of Dallas/Fort Worth Airport.
From the airport, you can take a taxi, catch the Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) or get to your hotel with a very reasonably priced private arrival transfer.
In and around the city
Once settled in enjoy the free route to destinations in downtown Dallas and historic Oak Cliff with D-Link. D-Link is a special service from DART that lets you explore the districts of downtown Dallas and historic Oak Cliff.
The DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) gives locals and visitors nearly 72 miles of light rail and 120 routes by bus transit. They provide reliable transportation to locations throughout the city including the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Centre Dallas, hotels, and destinations that feature shopping, restaurants, and attractions.
Visitors riding DART can also enjoy neighbouring counties and cities, including Fort Worth, via a connector to Trinity Railway Express. Expansion to locations throughout the metro area in recent years include additional DART service to downtown Dallas, Dallas Love Field and DFW International Airport.
Dallas car hire
Book car hire with Avis, Budget, Hertz and Thrifty. Qantas Frequent Flyer members could earn Qantas Points^ with Avis and Budget.
Pack more into your trip with complimentary checked baggage allowance on every flight.
Book on qantas.com and enjoy the best deals on flights, car hire, activities, hotels and more with our Price Promise#.
Enjoy the freshest seasonal flavours on your flight to Dallas/Fort Worth, with Neil Perry inspired menus in Premium cabins.
Enjoy our on-demand inflight entertainment in every seat, with the latest movie releases, TV shows, music and more.
* Prices are based on payment at qantas.com by BPAY or POLi for bookings made 7 days or more before departure or by debit or prepaid card for bookings made within 7 days of departure. A fee applies for other card payments. Fares may not be available on all flights or days. Some flights are operated by partner or subsidiary airlines. Prices are not guaranteed until payment is made. Prices may fluctuate if taxes or foreign exchange rate change. Add Card Payment Fee per passenger, per booking: credit/debit cards AU$7 domestic or trans-Tasman or AU$30 international; debit/prepaid cards AU$2.50 domestic or trans-Tasman or AU$10 international. Also add AU$30 for domestic or AU$60 international per passenger for bookings made on 13 13 13 or at the airport. Passengers booking Premium Economy may be seated in Economy on connecting flights. Check the fare rules for more details before booking. Inclusions vary between flights. All schedules subject to change, including last minute aircraft changes. QantasLink flights operated by Sunstate Airlines (Qld) Pty Ltd ABN 82 009 734 703, Eastern Australia Airlines Pty Ltd ABN 77 001 599 024, and National Jet Systems Pty Ltd ABN 11 008 279 203. Licence No per state: QLD – 407, NSW – 2TA000237, VIC – 30362, SA – TTA155, WA – 9TA52.
# The Price Promise may be cancelled, modified, restricted or altered at any time without prior notice. The Price Promise terms and conditions in effect at the time that you make a claim will be used to determine whether your claim qualifies or not for the Price Promise. Claims under the Price Promise will not be accepted if, in our opinion or the opinion of the third party responsible for administering the applicable Price Promise, acting reasonably, the claim has occurred as the result of a printing, uploading or other error or is made fraudulently or in bad faith.
^ You must be a member of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program to earn and redeem Qantas Points. Join online now. A joining fee may apply. Membership and Qantas Points are subject to the terms and conditions of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program.
** Prices are per room, per night and vary depending on date of check in, length of stay and room type. Conditions apply.
~ Qantas activities are provided by Viator. Conditions apply.