You’re sure to get a friendly outback welcome when you visit this fascinating town in Outback Queensland.
Roma is in the heart of cattle and sheep grazing country and a place that’s relaxing and bustling all at once. The biggest cattle sale yards in Australia are located here, meaning a steady flow of visitors to town and a variety of restaurants, cafes and specialty shops to cater for all.
It’s also home to plenty of history - like the first discovery of oil and gas in Australia, and the famous 19th century trial of Harry Redford.
Come along to this patch of Outback Queensland and discover a place like no other.
QantasLink flights between Brisbane and Roma are operated in partnership with the Queensland Government.
Here are some great activities and attractions worth experiencing during your stay.
- Join the celebrations at Roma’s Easter in the Country Festival - a five day extravaganza where you can dine under the stars and attend a night rodeo, street parade and many more events.
- The Roma Saleyards are the largest cattle market in Australia - held every Tuesday and Thursday, anyone is welcome to come along and witness the action, or book a tour for a look behind the scenes.
- Join a Boobook ecotour for the adventure of a lifetime on a tour to the Carnarvon Ranges, coal seam gas operations, cattle stations or the wildflower fields.
- Rent a car and explore the surrounding region, including Mount Moffatt, or one of the many tourist drives in the region.
- Back a winner at one of the ten race meetings held at the Roma Turf Club throughout the year including the Roma Cup Races - a favourite event attracting visitors from around the country held annually in November.
Discover the history of Roma with museums and attractions, or hit the road and explore the incredible walks and sandstone cliffs of Carnarvon National Park.
In and around Roma
With a proud pioneering history, you’ll find plenty of historic attractions to explore in and around town.
The Big Rig Tourist Complex is an great place to begin. It houses a slab hut museum, miniature train, oil and gas history exhibition, machinery displays, cafe and even a theatrette. Catch the Big Rig Night Show to see an impressive sound and light show complete with pyrotechnics.
Mount Abundance Homestead and Saint Paul’s Church are both worth a visit, the latter for its beautiful stained glass windows. Before you explore the wider region, be sure to take a walk down the impressive Wyndham Street to admire the quirky shapes of bottle trees planted in memory of local men lost in World War I.
Roma is a gateway to the incredible Carnarvon Gorge National Park.
The most famous landmark of the national park is the spectacular Carnarvon Gorge - which covers more than 32 kilometres of the park and reaches depths of almost 600 metres.
Boobook Tours can take you to the park from Roma, or stay at Takarakka Bush Resort on Carnarvon Creek or another accommodation provider while you explore walking trails, Aboriginal rock art, towering sandstone cliffs and dinosaur plants. For those fit and up to the challenge, there’s also the Carnarvon Gorge Great Walk which covers a staggering 87 kilometres - just be sure to plan well and let someone know before you head off.
Australian Dollar (A$)
230V / 50Hz
Roma has a hot, dry climate with mild winters. The average temperatures in winter ranges from 4ºC to 20ºC and temperatures in summer average between 19ºC and 34ºC. Mild rainfall occurs throughout the year, peaking in the summer months.
From the airport
Roma Airport is located approximately seven kilometres from the town centre off the Carnarvon Highway. Rental car companies operate in the terminal and taxi services are also available.
In and around the city
Bus Queensland operates services between Roma and other Outback Queensland cities.
^ You must be a Qantas Frequent Flyer to earn and redeem Qantas Points. A joining fee may apply. Membership and points are subject to the Qantas Frequent Flyer program terms and conditions.
** Prices are per room, per night and vary depending on date of check in, length of stay and room type. Conditions apply.