Find adventure in Bundaberg and the North Burnett Region. Go for turtle hatching season, head west to discover the sandstone wilderness or sit back and enjoy the Southern Great Barrier Reef.
The gateway to the Southern Great Barrier Reef, Bundaberg gives you the chance to see large hard coral reefs firsthand and join colourful fish, turtles and manta rays for a swim. It's also a great jumping off point to some of the Southern Great Barrier Reef islands such as Lady Elliot Island and Lady Musgrave Island.
Flight prices are per adult in Australian Dollars, based on payment at qantas.com by BPAY made 7 days or more before departure, POLi or Qantas issued UATP. For other payment options a percentage based fee applies, capped at a maximum per passenger of $11 for Domestic or $70 for International travel. Prices are not guaranteed until payment is made. Fares may not be available on all flights or days. Some flights are operated by partner or subsidiary airlines.
Bundaberg and the North Burnett is the perfect place to head if you're looking for a family adventure, a romantic escape, a foodie break or just want to kick back on the beach.
- Visit the turtlesOpens external site in a new window from November to March
- Hit the beachOpens external site in a new window at Woodgate or Elliot Heads for swimming and surf
- Explore the Southern Great Barrier ReefOpens external site in a new window and discover areas where you can still feel like an intrepid explorer
- Visit the world famous Bundaberg Rum distilleryOpens external site in a new window
From local wildlife to welcoming locals, the freshest flavours and seemingly endless sunny days, have you been to Bundaberg?
Swim with the turtles
Between November and March each year Mon Repos beach welcomes thousands of turtles to lay their eggs, and 6-8 weeks later celebrates the arrival of thousands of tiny hatchlings.
Only 7kms from Bundaberg, Mon Repos is where over 50% of the entire population of nesting loggerhead turtles in the Southern Hemisphere head to lay their eggs. Some of these turtles were born on the same beach as long as 80 years ago, hatched from a nest with roughly 100 siblings. Today their babies make the same scramble for the ocean, with a 1 in 1000 chance of making it to maturity.
And when it's their turn to have babies, the turtles use the earth's magnetic field as an internal GPS to find their way back to the beach and repeat the cycle.
Find out more about Mon Repos and the turtle seasonOpens external site in a new window, including booking tickets.
See the turtles
Channel your inner David Attenborough and watch the loggerhead turtles arrive to lay eggs or watch the baby turtles hatch and crawl towards the ocean.
The freshest local flavours
Once you've met the locals and seen the spectacular surroundings, whether that's exploring the beaches and coastline or heading inland, treat your senses to a feast with the fresh local specialities.
The region is an A-Z of fresh flavours, growing everything from avocados to zucchinis and everything in between. The local rich, red soils mean near-perfect growing conditions for fruits, vegetables, citrus and grazing for beef, pork and other animals. Plus add the fresh, daily catches from the local trawlers and there's every taste covered.
And to accompany your delicious meal? You may notice the abundance of sugarcane, and the locals have the perfect drinks to quench your thirst. Whether that's a Bundaberg Rum or soft drink, it's definitely worth a visit to the Bundaberg BarrelOpens external site in a new window or the Bundaberg DistilleryOpens external site in a new window.
The Bundaberg Barrel
No visit to Bundaberg would be complete without visiting the home of the famous drinks. Take a tour of the Bundaberg Barrel and see how the famous Ginger beer is made.
Australian Dollar (AU$)
230V / 50Hz
The Bundaberg region stays pleasantly warm year round. Winter has lows of 10 or 11 degrees centigrade while summer can reach the high 30s. January sees highest rainfall and the driest days are in August.
From the airport
In and around town
Everything you'll need within Bundaberg is an easy walk away. If your visiting Mon Repos or another tourist destination, speak with your travel operator about arranging travel if you haven't rented your own car.
If you're heading out to the islands, Lady Elliot is a 25 minute scenic flight, Lady Musgrave is a day cruise away and Heron Island is a boat ride from Gladstone Harbour (with no day trippers).
Bundaberg car hire
Enjoy great rates with Avis, Budget, Hertz or Thrifty and no booking fees. Qantas Frequent Flyers can also earn Qantas Points^ with Avis and Budget.
Your flight with Qantas
Enjoy complimentary refreshments when you fly with us.
Book on qantas.com and enjoy the best deals on flights, car hire, activities, hotels and more with our Price Promise#.
Pack more into your trip with complimentary checked baggage allowance on every flight.
* Flight prices are per adult in Australian Dollars, based on payment at qantas.com by BPAY made 7 days or more before departure, POLi or Qantas issued UATP. For other payment options a percentage based fee applies, capped at a maximum per passenger of $11 for Domestic or $70 for International travel. Prices are not guaranteed until payment is made. Fares may not be available on all flights or days. Some flights are operated by partner or subsidiary airlines. Prices may fluctuate if taxes or foreign exchange rates change. Passengers booking Premium Economy may be seated in Economy on connecting flights. Check the fare rules for more details before booking. Inclusions vary between flights. All schedules subject to change, including last minute aircraft changes. QantasLink flights operated by Sunstate Airlines (Qld) Pty Ltd ABN 82 009 734 703, Eastern Australia Airlines Pty Ltd ABN 77 001 599 024, and National Jet Systems Pty Ltd ABN 11 008 279 203. Licence No per state: QLD - 407, NSW - 2TA000237, VIC - 30362, SA - TTA155, WA - 9TA52.
# The Price Promise may be cancelled, modified, restricted or altered at any time without prior notice. The Price Promise terms and conditions in effect at the time that you make a claim will be used to determine whether your claim qualifies or not for the Price Promise. Claims under the Price Promise will not be accepted if, in our opinion or the opinion of the third party responsible for administering the applicable Price Promise, acting reasonably, the claim has occurred as the result of a printing, uploading or other error or is made fraudulently or in bad faith.
~ Qantas activities are provided by Viator. Conditions apply.